Should I Clean This Out Of My Brew Kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All, after brewing my third batch I noticed this black stain at the bottom of my kettle. I use an aluminum kettle and used some Oxyclean to clean it out. This is my third batch and I didn't have this issue with the first two which I find strange. I'm not sure if this is bad or fine to just leave. Could it be heavy oxidation?

Me thinks i'm going to be investing in a stainless kettle soon...

beer.jpg

Most likely it's burned wort, and it would probably add some burned flavor to your next batch.

I agree that it looks like burned sugar. Did you add extract or sugar with the burner on? Always turn off the burner during these additions until the sugar or extract is completely dissolved or you will get a burn. You may have roughed up the bottom of your kettle making sticking and burning more likely.

Looks like burned-on extract. I'd recommend putting a gallon or so of water in and heating it to boiling. Let it boil for a few minutes, then try scraping at the stuff with a wooden or plastic spatula. It should come right off. You might want to follow-up with an abrasive pad made for non-stick pans, then boil some more water in it to re-establish your oxidation layer.

Yeah that makes sense I did add the extract while it was on. If i take a towel to it, i do get some black stuff on the towel as well. I added the extract when the burner was on low which i did for the first two (the first beer i brewed was the same as this) and the beer came out amazing. Good to know going forward to turn off the burner.

I assume I can just scrub it off? Although I may remove the oxide layer. I'll just stick it in the oven if I need to and boil some more water.

Think this will throw some off flavors in my beer?! Hope I didn't wreck this batch...:confused:

Looks like burned-on extract. I'd recommend putting a gallon or so of water in and heating it to boiling. Let it boil for a few minutes, then try scraping at the stuff with a wooden or plastic spatula. It should come right off. You might want to follow-up with an abrasive pad made for non-stick pans, then boil some more water in it to re-establish your oxidation layer.

Thanks for the tip :tank:

I use a dobie & PBW to clean my SS BK's inside & out. They're polished & it makes'em gleam again. Should work on this. Just rinse well & oxidize it again.

Won't scraping it with an abrasive pad scratch off the protective seal that the aluminum pot has on it? Could add some off flavors to his next batch, can anyone confirm or deny this?

I use brillo pads, which looks like steel wool and I haven't noticed scratching? The front of the box specifically shows pots and pans as well as the directions saying the same. Might take that stuff off with some elbow grease fairly well. I would let it soak in soapy water for a couple hours first though.....

Steel wool will scratch it. You can boil water in it after to re seal it . I'd suggest a plastic scraper made for non stick. Its a three inch square piece of thin plastic. I got mine at bed bath and beyond. It tears through anything scorched on my pans. Ill see if I can find a link later.

That fine spun steel wool may be okay. A Chore Boy pad would probably scratch the hell out of it. Try a green scrubbie first. Those are the best, most pot friendly scouring pads.

Yeah that makes sense I did add the extract while it was on. If i take a towel to it, i do get some black stuff on the towel as well. I added the extract when the burner was on low which i did for the first two (the first beer i brewed was the same as this) and the beer came out amazing. Good to know going forward to turn off the burner.

I assume I can just scrub it off? Although I may remove the oxide layer. I'll just stick it in the oven if I need to and boil some more water.

Think this will throw some off flavors in my beer?! Hope I didn't wreck this batch...:confused:

Or pour slower and stir more. Just turning off the burner isnt going to do anything if you dont vigorously stir and take your time adding the extract...it will still stick to the bottom and when you turn it back on, burn.

Turning your 60 minute boil into a 62 minute boil to get the extract in slower isnt going to ruin your beer. Trying to dump it all in 15 seconds and burning it will :)

Not sure about aluminum but I use a little bar keeper's friend on my stainless and it takes burn extract right off.

Steel wool will scratch it. You can boil water in it after to re seal it . I'd suggest a plastic scraper made for non stick. Its a three inch square piece of thin plastic. I got mine at bed bath and beyond. It tears through anything scorched on my pans. Ill see if I can find a link later.

True, steel wool may, but brillo pads don't, that is just the only way for me to describe them. Also, don't have scratches on my 15 gallon megapot. Take it from someone who has actually tried it, not just making silly assumptions. :cross:

Or pour slower and stir more. Just turning off the burner isn't going to do anything if you don't vigorously stir and take your time adding the extract...it will still stick to the bottom and when you turn it back on, burn.

Turning your 60 minute boil into a 62 minute boil to get the extract in slower isn't going to ruin your beer. Trying to dump it all in 15 seconds and burning it will :)

It wasn't that I was purposely pouring fast (that stuff is so thick I don't think I could pour it all within 2 minutes If i tried! :D) but more of the fact I'm still new to this and didn't even take into consideration it could burn if i did pour faster than normal. Lesson learned...next time I am going to pour slower. I am brewing Northern Brewers Carribou Slobber so maybe a slight burnt flavor won't be all bad!

Back to the problem at hand...I boiled some water the other day and when I came back downstairs to check it today I see the below. Looks like the problem resolved itself! It has to be the burnt in malt as it looks like it is peeling off by itself. I'm going to srcub it off and go from there.

..can't upload the friggin image but all the black stuff is peeling off!

Latest posts

Back