1st cider made

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dermangin

Reaction score
Allen's apple juice (4) 1.2L cans
Safale US-05 (left over from beer)

OG = 1.044
FG = 1.002

1 gallon batch, yeast put directly into juice, then funnelled into carboy.

18 days of primary - It taste good is very clear, and smells like cider. So now what do I do? I racked it into a secondary fermenter, but what am I waiting for now? Bottling?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Are you looking to store it for extended periods of time or do you plan on consuming it fairly quickly?

My thought would be, if it's clear and it tastes good. Rack it from secondary to another glass jug and put it in the fridge. Drink and enjoy. I'd check the cap every day at least to make sure it's not still fermenting in the fridge.

If you want to age for a bit or carb it, you'll need to prime and bottle.

I want to carb it, any recommendations on how much priming sugar. If it is mostly dry now, do I still have to worry about bottle bombs? With the 1 gallon beer kit I got, they recommend 2 tablespoons of dextrose? Does that sound right?

Assuming you want to keep this cider dry, I would use the ratio 1oz priming sugar per 1 gallon of beer/cider. It's a fairly typical ratio to use and should be about right for this.

I would definitely try and use weight instead of volume to measure it if you can. I usually prime 5 gallons with 4 oz of corn sugar, so I guess an ounce sounds about right. Maybe a little shy of an ounce.

I use about 1oz per gallon as well. It's an average amount to start with. If you like more carbonation you can up the ante on it and decrease if you like it a little more still.

When you find what you like, write it down and you're set.

Thanks for the advice. But I still have one question. If my FG was 1.002 and I follow the priming sugar instructions do I need to pasture? How would this be different then carbing beer?

Back