Goofy themes to your ingredients?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pilafdm

Reaction score
Hello, genteel folk.

Just for LOLs, I was wondering if anyone had much luck creating recipes wholly around stupid themes in the ingredients?

For example, I was bored in the office and someone asked me to CC them on an e-mail. I noticed a lot of ingredients for beer start with "C," and, as such, I made "Could You CC Me on That?"

Or: Galaxy, Comet, and Apollo hops are all pretty delicious, right? And they're all very outer space in theme. Thus: "Pulsar Pale Ale."

I'm bummed that I can't find (nor have I ever seen) Defender hops anywhere. I was going to make an "Insert Token" brew with Defender hops and Rogue Pac-Man yeast. ;D

(None of these have yet been brewed, by the way.)

Anyone else do this?
Any interesting results?
Surprising results?
Hilarious disasters? ...

Cheers,
P.

Other then the names. They don't seem too out there from normal ish beers. I was expecting something like some dry cat food or maybe some pasta sauce lol

I did make a usb port-er once. And some "app-rasion" (apricot ale) and sucker punch which was a 100 plus ibus of an iipa

LOL!
I'd be thrilled if they worked since I'm new to recipe creation.
But, yeah, a main reason for this thread is to see if random themes led anyone to making a bizarre recipe that did, in fact, work out.

I brewed "The Dark Crystal" recently which features lots of dark crystal malt 120, and pacific gem hops. I'm sooo witty.

I brewed a series of 3 beers to celebrate running a marathon with a total of 26.2oz of hops. There were 27 different varieties of hops and I decided when each hop would go into the boil with random number generator.

I also did a 7C's beer when I first started (before the hop blend came out) with 7 different C hops and a 77 min boil.

Remarkably all of these beers were pretty good. 7C's was especially good. Big DIPA on 530.

I did a Bourbon Chocolate Porter called "Midnight Surprise," named after the fact that my drunken African American friend sleptwalked naked into the living room one night...

I brewed an all chinook and tomahawk hop bursted ipa that ii called 'Gunship IPA' because of the chinook helicopter and tomahawk missile.

I have made a few beers based off off one ingredient, event or historical idea. A friend from Sudan brought me a bag of hibiscus leaves (red) and honey then said brew something.

A little research got me thinking and here it is. I'm thinking a Berliner Weiss style beer made from the same ingredients as local tribes beer which would be gluten free.

I would use unmalted sorghum, finermillet (trying to locate), corn, low hops charge ~10 ibu, mash with amylace enzymes (white).

I am looking to get the lactobacillius from the hibiscus leaves.

I'm getting ready to do a '69' IPA

OG: 1.069
IBU: 69
6.9% ABV
69 minute boil
69 minute mash

You get the idea :ban:

I just brewed a SMaSH using 12.5lbs of pale ale 2-row (Bigger/Heavier Beer) and only Willamette hops.

I am calling it my "Big Willy" IPA. :tank:

My "Maize and Blueberry Cream Ale" will be bottled on Monday. Made with flaked maize and blueberries to celebrate my little sister's graduation from Michigan. Their school colors are Maize and Blue.

Did you ever follow through with the Hall and Oates beer? I think it's a great idea!

Latest posts

Back