Hot pitch?=bad practice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yennerstour

Reaction score
So I pitched wyeast to a stout seven months ago at like 140 degrees(maybe not quite, but super hot over 105), freaked out for four or five days and then krausen. beer came out delicious, had one yesterday still delicious.
I recently did this again, strictly because of time restraints and worried for the last three days, until today, krausen! am I practicing bad brewing technique or is this acceptable for a newbs?
I havn't yet used a wort chiller, its always been snow or an ice bath. Of all the batches Ive made, the stout stands as a favorite, not thee, but top 5

So I pitched wyeast to a stout seven months ago at like 140 degrees(maybe not quite, but super hot over 105), freaked out for four or five days and then krausen. beer came out delicious, had one yesterday still delicious.
I recently did this again, strictly because of time restraints and worried for the last three days, until today, krausen! am I practicing bad brewing technique or is this acceptable for a newbs?
I havn't yet used a wort chiller, its always been snow or an ice bath. Of all the batches Ive made, the stout stands as a favorite, not thee, but top 5

I think that most brewers would tell you that this temp is way too hot for pitching yeast, especially since most guys (and gals!) pitch somwhere between 65-75 F. It's almost definite that you are slowing down the beginning of initial fermentation because of the shock to the yeast. Apparently the yeast are able to survive those high temps, but my guess is you are either killing or stalling a lot of yeast cells and your ferm would start faster (hence, less chance for contamination) if you pitched at proper temps. Even with snow or an ice bath, you can still get your wort down to pitching temps with a little extra time so I really can't see why you would want to pitch that hot, but that's just me. to answer your original question, there is no excuse for bad technqiue, newb or not. Take your time and chill to proper temps would be my advice. Just my .02.. BTW, welcome to the hobby! And one more word of advice- take proper temps! Saying the temp was somewhere between 105 and 140 is not really going to cut it.... good luck!

That's awesome that it worked for you, but the only batches that have ever been failures for me have been because of pitching at too high of a temperature. It's only happened twice, but both times it was very disappointing. One of those times the temperature was at 82F and after 6 days there was no fermentation at all. Unless it was a mysteriously bad package of Nottingham, high pitching temp is the only thing I can think of that would have caused it.

Basically no, I would not recommend pitching that high, -especially- to "noobs!"

Bad practices won't always yield immediate failures, but you are setting yourself up for future troubles. The best investment a beginning brewer can make is a good digital thermometer.

Thanks guys, just looking for some reiteration of my slacking ways. If it means better beer, I shall give it a shot. Ive been pretty lazy about a few things and just wanted to see if it was dumb luck or that beer is incredibly resilient. Maybe its both. Anyway a good thermometer and a wort chiller are in my future, as well as a 90 minute IPA all grain brew! thanks

Back