American IPA Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone (AG) & Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HappyLoon,

change your number of post per page options in your options page under your control panel... You can go up to 320 posts per page, but it takes a little longer to load each page. I was at 40 for a long time, but am trying the 120 per page to see if i like it.

Just tapped the keg of my Amarillo/Citra version of this. Plus my pound of Simcoe just showed up today too, so I should be good to go with this brew all year assuming I can keep finding pacman :mug:

beerandhops.jpg

This beer won 3rd place in the IPA category of Wootown Brewer's BJCP Comp, Barely Legal 2.

At this level of the competition, the recipe isn't the difference, its the technique. Good question though.

At this level of the competition, the recipe isn't the difference, its the technique. Good question though.

I agree partially. I always get great results using Nottingham in a swamp cooler in my basement. Fermenting in the upper 50's/low 60's gives me a really clean beer which was commented on by all three judges.

I was trying to say that the recipe wasn't the reason you earned a ribbon. KUDOS to you!!! Your process rocks! Keep it up.

Raymond

Just tapped the keg of my Amarillo/Citra version of this. Plus my pound of Simcoe just showed up today too, so I should be good to go with this brew all year assuming I can keep finding pacman :mug:

Wash that pacman!!!

I'll be dryhopping mine tonight and washing as much pacman and I can get out of my primary. OG got down to 1.014. Was hoping to get closer to .010, but I don't think I areated well enough. I have enough simcoe for only 3 more 5 gallon batches :( . Hopefully I can get my hands on some more!!!

Wash that pacman!!!

I'll be dryhopping mine tonight and washing as much pacman and I can get out of my primary. OG got down to 1.014. Was hoping to get closer to .010, but I don't think I areated well enough. I have enough simcoe for only 3 more 5 gallon batches :( . Hopefully I can get my hands on some more!!!

I got that bag from FreshHops, sure they'd be more than happy to sell you a couple pounds if you want :D

I got that bag from FreshHops, sure they'd be more than happy to sell you a couple pounds if you want :D

I checked Freshops and they seem to be out. Austin Homebrew has whole leaf and I'll probably pick some up with my next order.

I think pacman is only available starting in June (or somewhere around ther). I got my smack pack in October from AHS and it had a manufactured date of June, 2011. Do you ever wash your yeast? I got a TON of pacman from my washing last night. I ended up with 5 pint sized mason jars (probably could have gotten more) and this morning there looked to be about the equivalant of a smack pack worth of yeast in each. This is the first time I've used it, but I've heard so many good things about it I wanted to get some on hand.

Just waiting for my Simcoe to be delivered tomorrow to brew this. Probably wont get to it until this weekend, but had a question. I am following Yoopers recipe on page one that has 67 IBUs and Beersmith takes mine to 77 IBUs. The hops i must have higher IBUs, the Warrior are 16.7%AA and the Amarillo are 10.3%AA which seem higher than average for these hops. Should I just lower the amount of hops to add or not worry about the 10 IBU difference?

Cheers!

Just waiting for my Simcoe to be delivered tomorrow to brew this. Probably wont get to it until this weekend, but had a question. I am following Yoopers recipe on page one that has 67 IBUs and Beersmith takes mine to 77 IBUs. The hops i must have higher IBUs, the Warrior are 16.7%AA and the Amarillo are 10.3%AA which seem higher than average for these hops. Should I just lower the amount of hops to add or not worry about the 10 IBU difference?

Cheers!

Don't worry about it! The IBUs are an estimate anyway, since the hops are added continuously. I did notice that the amarillo from last year were 4.5% and this year are over 10% AAUs!

Awesome, thanks for the reply Yooper! I should have figured that too much hops could never hurt a brew! My Simcoe just arrived this morning. I will be making my starter later today and brewing this weekend. Looking forward to my second AG!

Just bottled this up yesterday. I think I did a dumb move though - I put the dry hops in one of those stainless ball thingys, and I think this just prevented much of the aroma from getting in to the beer. It was packed way too tight for my liking when I racked to the bottling bucket.

The sample I tried is bitter as hell (like, REALLY bitter), with not a lot of hop aroma (if any). Hope I didn't bugger it up, and I hope the bitterness subsides a little after 3 weeks of carbonation and aging, and serving chilled.

Got mine rockin' the other night. Added all the Warrior right at 60 minutes because I had other stuff to do. Subbed Honey malt in for the Amber malt and used S-04, not Pacman.

Added the Amarillo and Simcoe gradually from 35 mins to 0 mins (BORRRRING!!!). Since the Amarillo and Simcoe were leaf hops, I used my paint strainer worm clamped to a 4" PVC tube straddled by bungee cords to keep everything bagged:

Will be bottling up the extract version of this tonight. When I transfered to my 5-gallon carboy to dry hop it tasted pretty damn good. You can actually taste the continuous hopping. Pretty amazing!!!

I'll be ordering the ingredients to make this from all grain very shortly.

Thank you, Yooper. Thank you for teaching me how to brew the nectar of the gods! It came out AMAZING. :drunk:

Thank you, Yooper. Thank you for teaching me how to brew the nectar of the gods! It came out AMAZING. :drunk:

It's still one of my favorites! lschiavo and I made it together this summer, and I drank my half too fast so I went over to his house on Labor Day weekend and kicked his keg! :drunk:

I for 1 would like to know how your DFH clone turns out.

Please keep us posted. I love many DFH brews, and this is one of them.

I also did a DFH EXTRACT clone, Raison-D'etre . I had very, very great results.

If you also like Raison-D'etre , Be sure to give this recipe a shot. I'm sure you wouldn't be disappointed with it!

Cheers :mug:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/dfh-raison-detre-extract-recipe-264086/

Just a few things to note..... this was my 2nd brew and my first time using whole leaf hops for the Amarillo. Yeah ummm... that didn't work well. Everything was fine up until flameout. The leaf hops clogged everything and I ended up pouring the final gal or two into the fermenter uncooled. Lots of things touched other unsantized things and I'll be lucky if something doesn't go bad.

On the other hand, tasting the hydro sample produced a very familiar flavor! I am very impressed with this recipe! If I do have an issue I will definitely be trying this one again.

First get yourself a hop bag, it's just a small mesh bag for your hop boils they sell them at lhbs. I personally use them and you get the same flavor out of your hops as just tossing them in.

Your beer will probably turn out fine again let me know. This will be a future recipe if extract version is the money.

I have to jump in on this. I've been subscribed to this thread,probably since the beginning. I finally brewed this (extract) 3 weeks ago. I just racked to secondary for dry hop, took a gravity reading, 1.014,and sampled. Two words...DA-YUMM!!! The wort really tasted good! The aroma was already good as well and I just put some fresh Simcoe in to dry hop!! I can't wait to taste the finished product.

Thank you, Yooper! This looks like it will be a regular brew at my place!

First get yourself a hop bag, it's just a small mesh bag for your hop boils they sell them at lhbs. I personally use them and you get the same flavor out of your hops as just tossing them in.

Your beer will probably turn out fine again let me know. This will be a future recipe if extract version is the money.

You would have to have an awful lot of hop bags for the continuous hop additions! :)

You would have to have an awful lot of hop bags for the continuous hop additions! :)

I just hook mine around the thermometer or handles, and burn my fingers opening it up for each addition. Apparently my fingers aren't worth another few bucks for another bag.

I never used bags before, but with my new brewing system, I have to bag up leaf hops or my pump clogs up immediately with ONE little leaf!

Since I add hops often, I use a big paint strainer bag and built a sorta kinda hops spider. It stays open (no burned fingers) and doesn't clog up my pump! I'll see if I can find a link or picture.

Edit- there's a picture! Up above, about 15 posts above mine.

I wrap my hop bag around pot handles and ad continuously . It's almost easier than not using a bag .

I don't know what happend. I brewed the extract version. Tasted amazing! Then a few weeks later, a very strange flavor. I hate it! copper nutty off taste.

This is my first attempt at home brewing and I'm trying to follow Yooper's DFH 60min Extract recipe... Everything is going great through primary fermentation (2 weeks).

How long does this need to ferment in the secondary? It looks from the recipe that you siphon it to the glass carboy, immediately dry hop, and then it's ready in a week... three weeks seems too short. Does it need to be in the secondary fermentor for a couple weeks before you dry hop?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

This is my first attempt at home brewing and I'm trying to follow Yooper's DFH 60min Extract recipe... Everything is going great through primary fermentation (2 weeks).

How long does this need to ferment in the secondary? It looks from the recipe that you siphon it to the glass carboy, immediately dry hop, and then it's ready in a week... three weeks seems too short. Does it need to be in the secondary fermentor for a couple weeks before you dry hop?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

I don't usually siphon it to a "secondary", I usually dryhop in the fermenter and then package 5-7 days later. I like to have the hops aroma "fresh" and it seems like about 5 days is enough for dryhopping.

I don't typically age many beers, especially IPAs.

just brewed it today for the first time: changed the hops up a little due to the local homebrew store stock. 1 1/4 ounce galena, half bag at 60 minutes, 1 or 2 pellets till 35 minutes left. combined 1 ounce amarillo and 1 ounce citra in a bowl and put in 1 to 2 pellets till boil over. nottingham yeast used with irish moss. was going to dry hop 1 ounce amarillo and .5 ounce citra at 14 days. the beer is in the fermenter, i will update when it is in the bottle.

Did not get to this a couple weeks ago as planned, but I have spent all week stepping up my pacman. They are in the fridge ready to go! :D Tomorrow I will pull the trigger and brew this up, it will be my third all grain. Going with Yooper's original recipe. I will be testing out my new homebuilt hop spider on this as well. I am looking forward to tasting this. :rockin:

Cheers:mug:

Did not get to this a couple weeks ago as planned, but I have spent all week stepping up my pacman. They are in the fridge ready to go! :D Tomorrow I will pull the trigger and brew this up, it will be my third all grain. Going with Yooper's original recipe. I will be testing out my new homebuilt hop spider on this as well. I am looking forward to tasting this. :rockin:

Cheers:mug:

Let us know how it goes!

I'm going to have to make this again, because I just got two pounds of leaf simcoe and two pounds of amarillo pellets! A 10 gallon batch just barely fits in my MLT.

Just finished with my mash and heating wort to boil. Temps and volumes were right on, preboil SG was 1.047. Here is a photo of the wort with my new spider and the anxious pacman waiting to attack the wort. I'm excited about this one.

image-3135195959.jpg

image-3067102016.jpg

Back