Kitchen Sink Sprayer to Wort Chiller Splice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exe

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has had any experience tapping into their kitchen sink sprayer line to feed cold water into a wort chiller. I'm thinking that I can cut into the line, attach a three way splitter and some sort of quick disconnect so that I can attach my immersion chiller whenever I am brewing. Any thoughts?

I cant see where it wouldn't work only thing I would worry about is SWMBO...

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience tapping into their kitchen sink sprayer line to feed cold water into a wort chiller. I'm thinking that I can cut into the line, attach a three way splitter and some sort of quick disconnect so that I can attach my immersion chiller whenever I am brewing. Any thoughts?

You can get a QD that will screw right into the main faucet, it's used for portable dish washers. Like this one. LINKY

Judging by the flow from my sprayer I'm not sure the tubing provides enough volume per second to allow a chiller to provide its best efficiency.

A better solution would be to add a faucet to the cold water pipe under the sink before it hits the riser piping...

Cheers!

So, a little further background on my thoughts here. I had previously been taking off the sprayer head each time I brewed (and it worked just fine from a brewing standpoint), but eventually the thread on the nozzle head wore down (SWMBO not happy) and I needed to splice a new sprayer line to the existing line. I just am trying to figure out a way to use that splice to temporarily attach a wort chiller line whenever I brew.

You can get a QD that will screw right into the main faucet, it's used for portable dish washers. Like this one. LINKY

This depends on your faucet. The aerator on my kitchen faucet threads into the faucet neck (not onto it). That is, the faucet neck is female, the aerator is male. I could not find the correct fittings at the hardware store to allow me to attach a washing machine hose to my kitchen faucet.

My solution: rig together a piece of braided under-sink hose, some fittings, and a garden faucet to the washing machine hose, then attach it under the sink. Disconnect the cold water line from the shutoff valve and attach this instead. Doing it this way leaves the faucet free to use (hot water only, though).

20.jpg

Judging by the flow from my sprayer I'm not sure the tubing provides enough volume per second to allow a chiller to provide its best efficiency.

A better solution would be to add a faucet to the cold water pipe under the sink before it hits the riser piping...

Cheers!

+1 Day_trippr speaketh the truth!

Wanted to give this thread my closing solution. So, I think I ended up with a slightly different setup than JackSmith. I ended up cutting the sprayer line and buying a three way compression splitter from home depot. Two the cut ends of the sprayer line get connected to the splitter, and the third compression on the splitter goes to a heavy duty auxulary "brew day" line, with a valve fitted to the end of it. When the valve is closed, the sink operates completely normally. But I can use this "brew day" line to fill my brew pot, clean things out, or use a quick connect to my wort chiller line.

Picture below
2314913.jpg

Back