Type of extract flavoring?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob-1814

Reaction score
Would there be any difference to the taste of your beer if you were to use Mccormicks extract flavoring from a local grocery store as compared to one made especially for beer from my LHBS?

Is the homebrewery flavoring different from the cooking/desert flavoring?

:confused:Thanks, Rob

I have wondered the same thing and almost recently posted the exact question. I have no idea on the answer, however I would assume there are only minor differences. In leiu of asking the question I decided I would do some trial and error and find out for myself. I bottled a batch of Honey Wheat last week and added Raspberry extract (store bought McCormicks) to half, and Strawberry (also store bought) to the remainder. Last night I sampled both and was pleasently surprised with the results. While the beer was still noticeably "green" in flavor, both extracts really came through. I even added a little extra Strawberry to my glass for an over the top taste.

I've read a lot of complaints about "artificial" tastes from extracts, which I myself don't mind, or haven't really experienced. I think if you want the true sweetness then the syrups are probably your best bet, although this may lead to a more artificial taste. If you just want to have the aroma and a subtle hint of the flavor, I would think store bought extracts may be better. One thing I did notice while adding more is that it can start to get bitter.

Again I'm no expert, most of these assumptions are just based off my palatte and thoughts. I'm sure some of the experts will come to your aid here shortly, with much more informed opinions.

Flavor extracts are all pretty much the same, whether they are MARKETED as food flavoring, beer flavoring, or whatever. The only think is that the extracts marketed as beer flavorings often have recommended dosing instructions, whereas you might have to experiment a little with the right dosing if you buy one marketed as something other than beer flavoring.

Store bought extracts are mostly alcohol. I wonder about what alcohol they use.

Back