First time kegging today.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerMe82

Reaction score
I cleaned and sanitized everything very thoroughly. So I have that at least. But I am new to a few terms, such as with carbonation. I am using the force carb method of set and forget. I turned my CO2 up to 10 PSI, and left it. But then I heard about "volumes" of co2, what is that? I thought carbed was carbed. Btw, before anyone mentions it, I already check the Kegging sticky, it had nothing as to the definition of "volumes" of CO2.

They measure volumes, for how carbonated a liquid is. For example, the normal "range" for carbonation volume for my wheat ale is like 2.6 to 3 volumes. They say volumes, because...I dunno someone else can answer that.

What temp do you have this set to? (What is the temperature of where you are storing your keg?) 10 psi seems low, unless you are at 34*. Well, that may be fine. I leave my keezer set to 45*.

What type of beer are you kegging? I can look up the carbonation level on BeerSmith if you need it.

... They say volumes, because...I dunno someone else can answer that...

I dont' know if I am right but how I thought it went was the volumes was the volume of CO2 (at atmospheric pressure) disolved in the liquid. I.E. if you have 4 gallons of beer at 2.3 volumes CO2, there is (4x2.3=) 9.2 gallons of CO2 gas in the beer. I don't know if I right but it helps me visualise what volumes means kindof.
Basically as luke said it is a measure of how much carbination you have, more volumes equals more fizz, less volumes mean flatter.

Maybe this chart will help you some... I have it taped to the door of my brew fridge/freezer (top freezer has it on the front)...

Basically, dial in the PSI to get the carbonation target for the batch in keg, at the temperature the brew is at (not the air temp in the fridge/keezer, but the actual brew temp)...

They measure volumes, for how carbonated a liquid is. For example, the normal "range" for carbonation volume for my wheat ale is like 2.6 to 3 volumes. They say volumes, because...I dunno someone else can answer that.

What temp do you have this set to? (What is the temperature of where you are storing your keg?) 10 psi seems low, unless you are at 34*. Well, that may be fine. I leave my keezer set to 45*.

What type of beer are you kegging? I can look up the carbonation level on BeerSmith if you need it.

Its the first day with a Graig list kegerator. I put in a thermometer and ill check that tomorrow when everything stabilizes, but from what the guy who sold it to me said, I looks to be set around the mid 30s. Its an EPA, but seems to be a tad low on gravity for some reason. It may still be young, or just non carbonated.

Maybe this chart will help you some... I have it taped to the door of my brew fridge/freezer (top freezer has it on the front)...

Basically, dial in the PSI to get the carbonation target for the batch in keg, at the temperature the brew is at (not the air temp in the fridge/keezer, but the actual brew temp)...

That chart is great and by what it says I think I am at least in the ball park.

Its the first day with a Graig list kegerator. I put in a thermometer and ill check that tomorrow when everything stabilizes, but from what the guy who sold it to me said, I looks to be set around the mid 30s. Its an EPA, but seems to be a tad low on gravity for some reason. It may still be young, or just non carbonated.

The guy you bought it off knows the kegorator and I would listern to him, for one he might have figured that 10 psi gave him good carbination and with the legnth/size of beer line gave him a good pour without causing foaming problems. I'd try his recommendation and see what it is like, and remember that it can take 2-3 weeks to fully carb up a beer with the set and forget method.

Ok, well it looks like I can work with this set up for a bit and tweek per the need. On a side note, once in the cold, will a kegged beer continue to age and refine, or should I keep it room temp till its good to go???

It should continue to mature even in keg, chilled and under pressure. It might do so slower than if left in a cellar/basement, but it can still happen. If you're going to keg something that you suspect will need more aging time, then purge the air from it (giving it good CO2 coverage) and age it where it can have a nice stable temperature (preferably in the mid 60's or lower)... Otherwise, just drink it and try to make it last a few weeks (if possible). Then you'll see how it changes over time. Of course, you'll need to sample often. :rockin:

I'm still carbonating my first keg of home brew (been bottling all of batches until recently). I plan on pulling a glass from it before the weekend is over. I've already had a pint that was bottled, so I know what to expect there. I'm interested to see how the kegged part tastest. I suspect the carbonation level will be much better, or more reliable, at the very least. I'm hitting about 2.2-2.3 CO2 volumes for that keg right now. I have stick-on thermometers on the kegs, as well as a weather station sensor in the fridge. The sensor gives me high/low temps for the fridge (I use the average to get an idea what the brew is at without opening the door).

I'll be moving my CO2 tank outside of the fridge shortly. I'm actually just waiting for my large tank to arrive, and get filled, before I put the bulkhead fitting in the side of the fridge. That way I can easily alter the PSI of the gas feed without opening the fridge door. Plus, having the tank at room temp will give me a better idea of what the tank has in it. I get a reading about 300 PSI lower (tank pressure) when in the fridge compared with at room temp. I'm reserving my second bulkhead fitting for when I make a keezer. Then I'll have the tank outside the unit too. :D

Back