Dry Hops for Arrogant Bastard

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chapa

Reaction score
Trying to get ideas for dry hopping my Arrogant Bastard clone. I have 2x 5g carboys finishing off now, both with the same yeast. I figured I would at least dry hop one, if not both of them with diff hops just to have something different. Of course one of them I was considering more Chinook, but I wanted to see if anyone else had suggestions for good dry hops. I've come across people using Amarillo, Centennial or Cascade, but does anyone else have any suggestions from experience with AB/Chinook.

I'm really not into the really spicy/earthy/smoky taste, and much prefer the piny/citrusy taste, so I'm wondering if dry hopping with more Chinook may even make it too harsh? Maybe I should just do a citrus hop to try and balance it?

Also I'm going to bottle 1 batch and keg the other. Any suggestions on if I should dry hop the ones that get bottled, since they will take some conditioning? Or keg the dry hopped(throw in fermenter or just directly in the keg-I have whole leaf Chinook)

Here is my dry hop schedule:
2.8oz @ 60
1.5oz @ 30
1.5oz @ 0

10g - 1.082 SG

Thanks

To stay true to the recipe, I would dry hop with Chinook. But, since you have two carboys going, do one with chinook and one with your favorite citrus hop. It'll be a nice comparison.

I'd like to try Amarillo, but it seems like it'd be too soft to actually shine through.

I've used amarillo as a bittering hop and it worked very well. It has more punch than people give it credit. If you are worried about it being weak, then try simcoe. Nice citrous flavor and pretty strong.

The IPA I made with Amarillo/Simcoe was my best to date...I might have to try both in there...

I dry hopped my last one with 2 oz chinook it was awesome. Shortlived aroma for some reason, but while it was there it was great.

Thanks Permo. Did you have much for KO hops? I put 1.5oz in @ 0min, so I'm wondering if 2oz would be too much, or just right!! Thanks again!

I'm still on the fence as to Simcoe/Cascade or Simcoe/Amarillo for the other batch.

Thanks Permo. Did you have much for KO hops? I put 1.5oz in @ 0min, so I'm wondering if 2oz would be too much, or just right!! Thanks again!

I'm still on the fence as to Simcoe/Cascade or Simcoe/Amarillo for the other batch.

It Arrogant Bastard...it can never be too much!

My hop schedule for my last one with %11.5AA chinook was as follows

1 oz at 60
1 oz at 45
1 oz at 2
1 oz at 1
2 oz dry hop

It was bastardly awesome for about 3 weeks then the hops started to fade and it was so dry 1.011, that there wasn't really anything to fall back on once the hops were gone. I used pacman yeast and it dried her out a ton. I think one of the keys is WLP007.....

It Arrogant Bastard...it can never be too much!

My hop schedule for my last one with %11.5AA chinook was as follows

1 oz at 60
1 oz at 45
1 oz at 2
1 oz at 1
2 oz dry hop

It was bastardly awesome for about 3 weeks then the hops started to fade and it was so dry 1.011, that there wasn't really anything to fall back on once the hops were gone. I used pacman yeast and it dried her out a ton. I think one of the keys is WLP007.....

FWIW, I went with this schedule on mine and it is maintaining it's hop flavor nicely, it has faded a little , but is holding up well at 7 weeks in the bottle. No Dry Hop, I used Wyeast 1098 British, which is in the same vein as WLP007. OG 1.070 FG 1.016, 7.1% ABV, 91 IBU's on paper

1 oz at 60
1 oz at 30
1 oz at 10
2 oz at 5
1 oz at FO

I probably should have used a different yeast, and my IBU's came in a little shy. I've been lazy lately and have just been using S-05 so I don't have to make a starter, and just rehydrate. I started @ 1.081 with roughly 71IBUs. My OG is down to 1.017 on the smaller batch already! Hope it doesn't go much further...

I also skimped a little on the flavor/aroma hops, compared to your schedule, so maybe the 2oz of dry hops is in order.

Back