Infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdbrew1024

Reaction score
I have had these 2 beers in primary for about 5-6 weeks now. I recently moved to a new house, and these 2 beers got shaken up a little bit. Here we are a week later and both of these beers appear to have some sort of growth on the top layer. Is this an infection that I need to worry about? Nothing like this has happened to me before...

IMG_3740.jpg

IMG_3738.jpg

It definitely looks like a pellicle on the first one, and the second one seems to be starting. If it still tastes and smells ok, I'd rack from underneath that and bottle ASAP before it gets worse.

I kegged one of the beers last night. It smelled fine, tasted fine, and the gravity was fine. I'm hoping for the same results for the second beer!

What should I do about the equipment? Any special cleaning I can do to the carboys to prevent this in the future?

That's interesting. I had never had an infection after about 35 batches, until I moved down the street and had to load up two batches (one in primary, the other in secondary) and drive them down the road (a fair amount of splashing). About a week or so later, I noticed pellicles forming on both of them that looked exactly like the ones pictured above. I am kind of a perfectionist when it comes to brewing, so the batches got dumped after I tasted them and did not like the result (sinful I know). I wonder what caused these two issues with the move? Good luck!

Back