What's your occupation: Engineer or Non-Engineer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's your occupation

• Engineer

• Non-Engineer

Results are only viewable after voting.
I was wondering how enlightening a conclusion can be that divides the world up into these two categories.

"The World: butter eaters and the rest."

"The President: clueless or a tool?"

"The CIA: criminals or traitors?"

There seems to be a "forced choice" fallacy in all of these, somehow.....

Me: retiree or brewer; you decide.

How does engineer vs non-engineer qualify as a forced choice fallacy? In your president and cia example, both of the choices are negative and practically synonymous, whereas eng./non eng. and butter/non-butter are two legitimate opposites with no value judgments assigned. You might have a point if the original question was 'What's your occupation, mechanical engineer or industrial engineer?' or 'What's your occupation, hooker or whore?' Those questions have underlying assumptions.

How does engineer vs non-engineer qualify as a forced choice fallacy? In your president and cia example, both of the choices are negative and practically synonymous, whereas eng./non eng. and butter/non-butter are two legitimate opposites with no value judgments assigned. You might have a point if the original question was 'What's your occupation, mechanical engineer or industrial engineer?' or 'What's your occupation, hooker or whore?' Those questions have underlying assumptions.

Oh, I see your misconception. There was never any logic to my post; I was merely fishing for engineering responses. I miss my uncle the M.E., passed away these ten years, God love him.

No friggin lie. I started in engineering school, then transferred to business school. Since then I have sold engineering mechanical equipment, and since I started brewing I figured my only way I could ever dream of making a career out of this would be either becoming a microbiologist or a mechanical engineer.

I am now enrolled in engineering school because of the interest I generated in the subject from homebrewing.

No friggin lie. I started in engineering school, then transferred to business school. Since then I have sold engineering mechanical equipment, and since I started brewing I figured my only way I could ever dream of making a career out of this would be either becoming a microbiologist or a mechanical engineer.

I am now enrolled in engineering school because of the interest I generated in the subject from homebrewing.

That's great!

I graduated Electrical Engineering, but took my career in a more Business Technology route. I think a lot of my interest in HBing stems from my interest in engineering and science. As soon as I get a better work area, I'll be doing a lot more DIYing of my equipment.

I'm an engineer (licensed in Texas, Chemical Engineering, Texas A&M '03) and I cook A LOT. In fact, I've debated more than once about becoming a full time chef/brewer...

...but SWMBO forbids it. =(

LSU Chemical Engineering 2003
ULL MBA 2006

I'm not surprised that 40% of responders to this poll are engineers. Brewing beer is empirical engineering at its finest! The numbers dont lie!

BSME here. Engineers are picky and meticulous, both of which lend themselves to having success at things such as brewing (and cooking as well). So much chemistry at work in the brewing process, it just fits.

Not to mention it takes a lot of beer drinking to get through 4 years of engineering school, so why not have a hobby that will pay dividends!

RN by trade, but my nephew an engineer got me started on this and the guy who ownes the local hbs where I buy most of my supplies is also an engineer.

Not an geer. But I have the opposite side of brewing covered. grew up on a grain farm, worked for a grain company in the country elevators as a buyer, and now work for the government as a grain inspector. Also have the pleasure of being on the Canadian Malt Barley Technical Centres tasting pannel, get paid to drink beer every other Friday. I know, it sounds good, but it is tough to drink beer at 9:30 in the morning. (Boy I almost sounded like I believed myself there.)

were do i fit in?
going to school for cad.
not quite an engineer but not-not an engineer

If you 1) have an engineering degree, and 2) your job title is engineer, and 3) you actually engineer something, and 4) you can turn a screwdriver, you are an engineer. Everything else is gray area.

Am_I_an_Engineer.JPG

If you 1) have an engineering degree, and 2) your job title is engineer, and 3) you actually engineer something, and 4) you can turn a screwdriver, you are an engineer. Everything else is gray area.

Am_I_an_Engineer.JPG

That's brilliant! I showed the diagram to some of my team and they rolled!

:mug:

Not technically an engineer, but I do find a lot of mistakes that the good ole engineers at Lockheed Martin make.

I'm an aviation electronics technician in the US Navy.

Started off in Engineering but Physics at 8am weeded me out, too much else to do in Santa Barbara. I ended up with a Bus/Econ degree.

I am a freight dog now, a.k.a. freight pilot,
http://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/7790-you-might-freight-dog-if.html
although my coworkers think I should be a brewing engineer. I've told them I have stollen all my plans from HBT.

I have taught a lot of engineers to fly when I owned a flight school. My brewing club is composed of all engineers from the same company. If my next job is in an older plane I may become a flight engineer.

According to most engineers, IT is NOT engineering.

So I voted NON. However, I did a year of Mech E and that's when I started brewing.

English teacher.

Bachelor of Science Sociology & Criminal Justice UMass Amherst '06
Master of Education Curriculum & Teaching Fitchburg State '09

Back