Irish Red Ale "Drunken Lullaby" Irish Red

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dangerbrew

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Partial Mash
Yeast
Nottingham
Yeast Starter
n/a
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
n/a
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
--
Final Gravity
--
Boiling Time (Minutes)
--
IBU
--
Color
Crimson
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
--
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
--
Additional Fermentation
--
Tasting Notes
--
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.044
Estimated Color: 22 SRM
Estimated IBU: 40
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.0 %
Boil Time: 60 +/- Minutes
7 days at 62 primary
14 days at 66 bottled

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item
5.00 lbs. Pale Malt Extract
0.50 lbs. Maris Otter Grain (or other UK Pale 2-Row Malt)
0.50 lbs. Cara-Pils/Dextrine (Carafoam 1.5-2 L)
0.25 lbs. Chocolate Malt (UK)
0.25 lbs. Roasted Barley (UK)
0.25 lbs. Vienna Malt (US)
0.25 lbs. Caramalt (Light Crystal) 10 L
0.25 lbs. Cara/Crystal Malt 60L
0.25 bs. Malted Oats

1.00 oz Challenger (LEAF) 9.0% AAU (boil 50 min.)
0.50 oz. Irish Moss (boil 15 min.)
1.00 oz East Kent Goldings 5.5% AAU (boil 7 min.)
1.00 lbs. Brown Sugar (boil 5 min.)

1 packet of Nottingham Yeast

steeped grains for 50 min.

----------
this turned out absolutely awesome - great beer for st. paddy's day and everyone loved it. in fact, one of my friends already paid me in full for ingredients to make another 'personal batch' of it just for him.

it's medium-bodied and crimson colored with a warm opening bouquet of almost fruity flavor with a nice undertone of hoppiness that finishes off with an aftertaste of mellow caramel sweetness. so good. so sad its gone! (the batch didn't even last 5 days!)

enjoy! :mug:

Going to brew a 10gal batch of this today w/the only difference being Magnum pellet instead of Challenger leaf.

TY for the recipe, bro. :ban:

I'm lookin' forward to brewin' it tomorrow. :rockin:

Did you use 1 oz. of Goldings pellets or whole leaf? Why the brown sugar (more alcohol, I'm guessing)?

Cheers, and happy brewin'! :mug:

TY for the recipe, bro. :ban:

I'm lookin' forward to brewin' it tomorrow. :rockin:

Did you use 1 oz. of Goldings pellets or whole leaf? Why the brown sugar (more alcohol, I'm guessing)?

Cheers, and happy brewin'! :mug:

I used Goldings pellets, and yes, as you guessed, the brown sugar is to up the ABV to an appropriate level for the holiday :D

but anyway, since it's come and gone again, I thought I'd post for you guys my updated version of the recipe for this year. Came out wonderful, and everyone was even more into it than last year! It just keeps getting better.

The best taste, however, will be approximately around 48 days from the day you brewed it. So coordinate your schedule for next year accordingly - brewing perhaps on the 15th of Feb or so.

--------------------

“DRUNKEN LULLABY” IRISH RED 2010 (ST. PADDY’S BREW – first made in ‘09)
Brewed on 2/15/10
Best taste 4/5/10

Batch Size: 5.25 gal
Boil Size: 6.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.064
Estimated IBU (Tinseth): 25.2
SRM (Mosher): 15.4
Brewhouse Efficiency: 68.0 %
Boil Time: 60 +/- Minutes
7 days at 62 primary
14 days at 66 bottled, at least
6.2% ABV

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item
6.00 lbs. Pale Liquid Malt Extract
0.50 lbs. Vienna Malt
0.25 lbs. Flaked Barley
0.10 lbs. Roasted Barley
0.75 lbs. Cara-Pils/Dextrine (Carafoam 1.5-2 L)
1.00 lbs. Cara/Crystal Malt 60L
1.00 lbs. Torrified Wheat – (for head retention)

1.00 oz Fuggles (boil 60 min.)
1.00 oz East Kent Goldings (boil 5 min.)

Safale US-04

SLAINTE!!

Hmmm Flogging Molly fan? :D

A bit :rockin: Been to see them six times. Probably my favorite band.

As for AG, I'd probably do 7.25 lb Pale Malt in place of the Extract. I'd also watch the ferm temp getting too high as the safale 04 is pretty notorious for being fruity - also, I'd do a 3 day diacetyl rest after fermentation subsides. This style of beer is pretty prone to it.

Dangerbrew - how did the color turn out on your brew? I'm mid-boil right now and think it's going to be a little on the dark side just because of the malt extract. Just wondering if you got much "red" out of it. Can't wait to see the finished product, thanks for the recipe!

Dangerbrew - how did the color turn out on your brew? I'm mid-boil right now and think it's going to be a little on the dark side just because of the malt extract. Just wondering if you got much "red" out of it. Can't wait to see the finished product, thanks for the recipe!

Hey man,

You definitely get that deep reddish copper color the style is supposed to have in the BJCP guidelines. It looks beautiful when held up in front of a light source.

PS - My Boondock Irish Stout is entered in a competition taking place tomorrow - The Fairmont Homebrewer's Club Brewmaster's Cup 2011! I'll let you know how it does! If it wins, I may even post an update of the recipe on the site, which I haven't done in over a year and a half I think.

Awesome, hopefully the color turns out for me. It's fermenting away, good airlock activity so far plugging away at 61° in the basement. I used S-04 so should be nice and cleaned up by the time I can bottle it. Did you really only leave it in primary for 7 days before bottling?

Awesome, hopefully the color turns out for me. It's fermenting away, good airlock activity so far plugging away at 61° in the basement. I used S-04 so should be nice and cleaned up by the time I can bottle it. Did you really only leave it in primary for 7 days before bottling?

Yeah, but it all depends on how fast you get to your gravity. Mine finished up in about 5 days and I let it sit for 2 or 3 more as a diacetyl rest.

Hey danger, finally bottled this last night, smelled REALLY good. Tasted a small sample and was pleased. Seemed very similar to a Scottish Ale a local micro makes near me. Can't wait to have it carb up and condition a bit.

My OG was 1.060 and came down to 1.014 so it's right at 6% which should treat me well.

How'd that stout do in the competition that you mentioned a couple weeks ago?

Hey man.

Sounds like you're off to a good brew. Hope it tastes awesome for you. Wish I had time to make some this year, but my brew schedule's all booked up.

As for the stout, It got 4th place! Not bad at all. 35.5/50 on the bjcp scale. I was pleased and had some good stuff to go on for my next brew.

Here's my version of this one! The picture really doesn't do it justice, very deep red in color, excellent flavor, almost all gone!

181614_10150104607220292_502920291_6726867_5106160_n.jpg

this is probably a dumb question, but did you steep the grains at 150 degrees for the 50 mins? this recipe looks great. I have been looking for a good irish red recipe, and I am into the partial mash now. thanks for the post. And.... LETS GOOOOOO MOUNTAINEERS!

this is probably a dumb question, but did you steep the grains at 150 degrees for the 50 mins? this recipe looks great. I have been looking for a good irish red recipe, and I am into the partial mash now. thanks for the post. And.... LETS GOOOOOO MOUNTAINEERS!

yes, i did. although now that I've got a better heat source i've been doing some step mashes to make things a little more precise rather than just starting it at saccharification temps and letting it slide a bit. if you have the option i'd set up a protein rest at around 125-130 F for about 30 min and then 2 more rests - 1 for 10 min at 150 F and another for 15 min at 155-158 F. hope the beer turns out well for you, man. i'm pissed i couldn't make mine this year due to a St. Paddy's day trip to NYC.

and btw thanks for the rally cry! i haven't been able to make it to a mounties game in years, but i watch every single one on TV that i can manage.

Dangerbrew,

thanks, man. I will step mash it. sorry you didnt get to make it this year. I plan on it next year. maybe a guiness clone to go with it.

And your welcome for the rally cry. I graduated in '97 and went to my first game since then 2 years ago. I watch them on the tv too, but dont make it back up there much.

Might be a stupid question but I'm going to ask it lol. I just ordered all the stuff for this recipe and it is going to be my first partial. I've steeped grains before but that is about it. So the vienna malt is the base malt..... so is that the only one I mash? Then sparge the rest? Or and I think I know the answer and almost feel stupid asking, do I put it all in a bag and mash all the grains?

Might be a stupid question but I'm going to ask it lol. I just ordered all the stuff for this recipe and it is going to be my first partial. I've steeped grains before but that is about it. So the vienna malt is the base malt..... so is that the only one I mash? Then sparge the rest? Or and I think I know the answer and almost feel stupid asking, do I put it all in a bag and mash all the grains?

The vienna is the base malt, but you will also want to mash all the other grains with the base grain since it contains certain enzymes necessary to convert the starches in the other, specialty grains that wouldn't be converted otherwise. You would sparge all of the grains together in one bag.

Remember, there are no stupid questions. Only stupid governments. Cheers. :mug:

My ingredients for this is probably going to arrive today. I see you have nottingham for the yeast...... I kind of forgot to order yeast.... But I have plenty of Munton's Gold and I think the Coopers ale... Either of those work fine?

My ingredients for this is probably going to arrive today. I see you have nottingham for the yeast...... I kind of forgot to order yeast.... But I have plenty of Munton's Gold and I think the Coopers ale... Either of those work fine?

Sure will. Just make sure you rouse the yeast a few times during fermentation. I'm fairly sure those strains are pretty flocculent.

Yeah I went ahead and made it last night. One question I had though...... The 1lb of brown sugar at 5 minutes left in the boil..... It didn't quite disolve now I have a cake of brown sugar on the bottom of my fermenter, was that the idea or am I going to have to be reaaaaaaal carefully when racking to bottles to keep that out. Oh and the color is amazing, thanks for the recipe. I already have labels printed out reading "Irish Republican Ale" ..... My buddies got a kick out of that.

You're going to want to be careful to keep that out of the bottles. When you added the sugar did you stir the wort at all? What was your OG when you pitched the yeast? The idea is to have the sugar dissolve into solution with the wort so the yeast have something to nibble on. I'm not exactly sure how that'll affect fermentation, but I would suspect your OG would be low because of that, and the attenuation might be off as well. I'll be interested to hear how it ends up turning out.

Yeah I stirred well, even let it boil for closer to 7 minutes than 5. I don't remember the OG, it's written down at home. It was low I remember that. I had to let sit for a few hours with the air lock on before I pitched to let it cool, I did notice it looked like the sugar was resuspending before I pitched. I'm hoping worst case scenario it just doesnt have as high of alcohol. The 6.2 would be awesome but as long as it comes out tasting good I'll be happy. Hopefully my little slip up helps some others though. And I'll probably be brewing this again reguardless, so I'm going to add the sugar closer to 15 minutes left in the boil.

What would your opinion be on letting it ferment for a few days as is..... Racking to secondary and boiling up half the amount (1/2lb) of brown sugar.... cooling it... adding to secondary and possibly repitching if it the yeast doesn't start to do it's thing? I'll probably post this out in beginners forums as well to get some more traffic to it.

Well how low is "low" for the OG? And how much of the sugar would you say is not in solution? If I were you, I wouldn't mess with racking early and adding more sugar. I would let the yeast do their jobs, and let the sugar settle to the bottom. You'll end up with a lower ABV like you mentioned, but it gives you the opportunity to brew it again and compare the 2 results.

The brown sugar isn't contributing to flavor profile, it's main purpose in life is to up the fermentable sugars boosting the ABV. You'll still have beer at the end of this, and also a good learning experience.

One last option would be to send the full fermenter to me so I can see how much sugar didn't get dissolved and I'll drink, er, fix it. :mug:

My $0.02 is to let it ferment out, bottle it, drink it, brew it again. RDWHAHB.

My $0.02 is to let it ferment out, bottle it, drink it, brew it again. RDWHAHB.

I concur. And next time, absolutely make sure the sugar dissolves into the wort. A sugar cake on the bottom of your fermenter can't be preferable. :)

Well, it's been three days and it's still fermenting like a beast. A bubble every 2 and half seconds. It started at 70 for the first day and now 59 for the past two days. I think it will be just find. Just going to have to rack to the bottling bucket rather than using the autosyphon.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Hey Y'all,

I'm planning on brewing up this "Drunken Lullaby" tommorow and I have a couple of questions.

“DRUNKEN LULLABY” IRISH RED 2010 (ST. PADDY’S BREW – first made in ‘09)
Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item
6.00 lbs. Pale Liquid Malt Extract
0.50 lbs. Vienna Malt
0.25 lbs. Flaked Barley
0.10 lbs. Roasted Barley
0.75 lbs. Cara-Pils/Dextrine (Carafoam 1.5-2 L)
1.00 lbs. Cara/Crystal Malt 60L
1.00 lbs. Torrified Wheat – (for head retention)

1.00 oz Fuggles (boil 60 min.)
1.00 oz East Kent Goldings (boil 5 min.)

Safale US-04

First of all, I ordered my ingredients online, and even though i asked for everything to be milled, they sent my torrified wheat and flaked barley un-milled. Was this intentional by the supplier? Should i put them in the mash unmilled?

Second - Do you use light or dark brown sugar? Does it make much of a difference?

Wish me luck, as this will be my first partial-mash.

:mug:
JDY

First of all, I ordered my ingredients online, and even though i asked for everything to be milled, they sent my torrified wheat and flaked barley un-milled. Was this intentional by the supplier? Should i put them in the mash unmilled?

Second - Do you use light or dark brown sugar? Does it make much of a difference?

Wish me luck, as this will be my first partial-mash.

:mug:
JDY

If the wheat and barley are flaked, they don't need to be milled.

As for light or dark brown sugar, doesn't make a huge difference, except slightly in terms of color.

Good luck!

Hey AG Brewers that have made this, is 2 Row still the choice for the base? I was thinking of using Maris Otter as the base. Thoughts?

Probably be more authentic to use Maris Otter. Let me know how that turns out if you do it.

I just made a ESB with Maris Otter and it gave it a really nice ruby-copper color that I like. Still fermenting, so haven't tasted it but would think a old-time, traditional barley like Maris Otter would be a good base for this. Going to make next week, I'll let ya know how it turns out.

Thanks for the Recipe, I have this in my primary now, should be hitting the secondary in a day or so. Sucks i won't get to try it out for about a month but i'm sure it will be worth the wait. :mug:

Thanks for the Recipe, I have this in my primary now, should be hitting the secondary in a day or so. Sucks i won't get to try it out for about a month but i'm sure it will be worth the wait. :mug:

Always is. I'm thinking about doing one next month - feeling the need haha. Hope yours turns out well!

Back