adding hops to the glass

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BOBTHEukBREWER

Reaction score
I propose to boil 1 oz of amarillo hops for 2 minutes in 1 litre of water, strain, cool rapidly and freeze into ice cubes size 50 ml.

I will then put one ice cube into my glass, open a 500ml bottle and pour it onto the ice cube, which will rapidly melt. The aim being to get fresh hop aroma into the beer at this very last stage.

Has anyone tried this sort of approach?

that's an interesting idea. i've seen people dry hop in the glass, even add hop tea at bottling time, but that's a new one (at least to me)

Since you're looking for mainly aroma, i think you might not want to go all the way to boiling. it seems like steeping the hops in the water as you climb from 170 to 180-5 would allow for the extraction of all the aromatics without having them boil off.

Try it out, then let us know how things went.

thanks for that - I try both approaches in the same batch of beer, now, any ideas how to label ice cubes............

One of my friends always brings some high life over to my house. I usually stuff one homegrown Chinook in it. The hop gets stuck in the neck of the bottle and the beer flows through it wonderfully. INSTANT IPA!

Well not so much instant, but you can see the luplin start to cloud the beer a little. It still doesn’t taste to good, but no beer is left out at my house.

I was just at the book store looking at the brew mags and there was an ad in one for hop bags, by that I mean think tea bags but with hops in them instead of tea. I didn't buy the mag so I can't tell you more.

OK I can now report that the hop ice cubes work very well. I will not boil the next batch to try to capture more aroma.

Are you straining out the hops before you freeze it? Otherwise, are you dealing with a fair amount of hop material too? If so, maybe just using a steel tea ball would work and steep it in the cold beer...

Back