Wyeast propagator problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biermann

Reinvented Biermann
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
:mad: :mad: Ok, had to vent some frustration--

I brewed yesterday (made an all grain robust porter). The brew day went as near perfect as I could make it (first all indoor batch on the upgraded sculpture).

I made the starter over 24 hours in advance (Propagator pack London Ale III from Wyeast)-- well, it never really took off. It never even came close to hitting "high krauesen," and even at that, there was almost no yeast on the bottom-- and then I read the package and it said something to the effect that after making a starter, it would be enough pitchable cells for five gallons (mine was 10 gallons). So, by the time the beer was in the fermenter, I had a quandry. Grossly underpitch with my lackluster London III, or use some harvested WL English Ale that I had in my fridge for the past 2 months.

I went with the English Ale yeast I had in storage. I figured there was more viable yeast there per mL than in my starter, even if they were dormant. I also thought about pitching the London III in addition, but I figured that might be a little weird.

So, now I'm sitting here, and waiting for my fermenter to bubble. The starter doesn't even bubble now, and has cleared.
:mad:

Anyone else run across this problem with the Wyeast Propagator packs?? This was the first time I'd ever used it.

Never heard of a propagator pack, what is it like? I love my Wyeast, though, and usually keep the little fellows for a couple of generations (and have always had more a vigorous fermentation and better tasting beers than with WL, IMHO).... Not much help, sorry... But I'm sure it will turn out fine, don't worry.....

Well, I didn't realize it was a propagator-- I just thought it was a new packaging for the Activator. It seems that the propagator is a much smaller cell count, and you HAVE to make a starter, even for 5 gallons. Its all my LHBS carries now. So it was essentially worthless for me. I think I'm going to make another starter and dump the first into it, and get the counts up.

I just hope the fermentation starts soon. I get nervous anymore if it doesn't start within 24 hours.

Biermann said:
I think I'll go to the LHBS today and pick up some more English Ale yeast, and pitch it anyway. It still wasn't going this AM.

Bummer. I feel your pain. I'm trying to propagate some WL029 Kolsch yeast. The stuff is kind of thick. I'm hoping to build it up to split 3 ways, 1 for a batch tomorrow and two to save in 22 oz. Corona bottles.

WEll, I went and picked up some extra WL English Ale yeast, and when I got home, the fermenter was finally bubbling.

Go figure.

I do believe I'm going to decant the supernatant off the yeast in the London III, and make a new starter. Maybe I'll use it for an ESB or something.

Biermann said:
WEll, I went and picked up some extra WL English Ale yeast, and when I got home, the fermenter was finally bubbling.

See, ya gotta threaten it! Glad it started for you.

Back