calculator says <0.1 psi?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erykmynn

Reaction score
So I just racked a batch of an Ordinary Bitter over to a corny keg to 2ndary / age a bit before (at least the plan was) to force carbonate (at about 1 volume or so is recommended for the style).

So out of curiosity I hit the calculators and if I chill to say 50 deg, they say <0.1 PSI !?

So this being the first brew I've tossed into a keg (and now am thinking I could have chose something simpler perhaps) it leaves me with some odd questions.

Can I reliably set a regulator to <0.1 psi?! and would that be a serving pressure too.

If I tossed the keg into the keezer, sealed without the gas, would it magically have almost 1 volume of co2 in it?

Are regulator pressures relative to atmospheric pressure? I'd think they must be otherwise anything less than 14psi wouldn't want to flow out...

You definitely used your calculator wrong.

Which did you use? What volume of carbonation are you shooting for? And no, regs show gauge pressure, not absolute pressure, so 14 PSI on the reg is really around 28 psi absolute....

You want around 12-14 psi, most likely, at 50F. What volume do you want?

would it magically have almost 1 volume of co2 in it?
Are regulator pressures relative to atmospheric pressure?

yes
and
yes

I use 2 psi. An Ordinary Bitter should be served with just enough pressure to get it out of the tap.

Back