Flies Everywhere!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pivot

Reaction score
Just got back home after 3 weeks away for christmas. I accidentally left a few dirty pots in my sink and now there are fruit flies everywhere!!! and now im too scared to open any of my primaries or secondaries or do any beer stuff at all because the flies are going to get in!!

Gross! Now, clean house and leave your fermenters alone until the fruitflies are gone! Make sure you have liquid in the airlocks.

You can try a fruitfly trap if it's really bad. That's just a funnel in a mason jar with some fruit or juice in the jar. The fruitflies go in, but they're not smart enough to figure out how to get out. But I wouldn't open my beer until they are gone. One of those little buggers can make a 5 gallon batch into vinegar. They carry aceterobacter.

That sucks, right after Thanksgiving we had a problem with them in out=r house and we could not figure out where they came from. We have a 6 year old that likes to stash food around but we searched hogh and low and sanitized everything, and I do mean everything! Under couches, beds, in between the mattresses, under and in every cab, fridge, etc! Never did find where they came from as it was very cold outside during those few weeks before and after. We just went around like mad people and killed and sprayed for a week before the problem just disappeared!

Back