subsitute for roasted barley

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lochboy

Reaction score
Ok guys,

I am on a tight schedule to brew in the next 24 hrs, unfortunately the recipe I was going to make (Murphy's Clone from Clone Brews) requires roated barley and my home brew store is out. I don't have another store. The 7oz roasted barley is a specialty grain in the extract recipe. I have all the other ingrediants plu 1 lb of flaked wheat.

Can i roast the wheat and get a good enough result to drink.

does not have to clone Murphy's anymore, just need a good beer.

Thanks

Lochboy

Lochboy said:
Ok guys,

I am on a tight schedule to brew in the next 24 hrs, unfortunately the recipe I was going to make (Murphy's Clone from Clone Brews) requires roated barley and my home brew store is out. I don't have another store. The 7oz roasted barley is a specialty grain in the extract recipe. I have all the other ingrediants plu 1 lb of flaked wheat.

Can i roast the wheat and get a good enough result to drink.

does not have to clone Murphy's anymore, just need a good beer.

Thanks

Lochboy

One place to look, if by chance you have an Asian market in your vicinity is that sometimes they have what is called 'Barley Tea' which basically is a medium roasted Barley. You could get some of that and roast it a little more in say a 350 oven for a bit. You could try roasting the wheat to help enrich the flavor and color, but you most likely (depending on the other malts in the recipe) won't get anything like a Stout. But it should be good nonetheless. I would roast the wheat in a 350 oven on a clean sheetpan, stirring frequently until you get the color fairly dark.

Since Roasted Barley is so essential to that style (stout), I would do it right and wait until you have some roasted barley. The home roasted thing works to an extent, but I doubt you'll get that great flavor that you get from unmalted Roasted Barley.

Make another beer with your ingredients and do your stout when you have the right stuff.

Just my $.02.

That being said . . . it occurs to me that Murphy's is not all that roasty (from my memory, but it has been a long time since I have had it). If you are not after the really roasty flavor . . . go for it.

Back