Wyeast 3944 Uses

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noleafclover

Reaction score
So... I'm nearing the time to bottle a wit I used some Wyeast 3944 with. I'd like to brew another batch and pitch onto the cake, but I don't really want to brew another wit.... What other styles/recipes go well with this yeast?

I haven't had much luck tracking down old threads on the topic. Has anyone made styles other than a wit with 3944?

I've never done it myself, but a tripel seems like it would be pretty great. It would probably be a tripel/wit hybrid.

i made an oatmeal wheat with 3944, but it's still in primary so can't tell you how it turned out yet.

i think that a dubbel or a tripel would be a fine idea (then again, when is a dubbel or a tripel not a fine idea?!?)

Apparently it's the same strain (AKA WLP400) used in Flying Dog's Ragining B!tch Belgian IPA, my personal favorite example of the style. That would be a helluva way to reuse that yeast.

AND WHAT'S THIS?? The exact recipe provided by the brewery itself! Egads, perfection.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/can-you-brew-recipe-flying-dog-raging-*****-313458/

I made a CDA with it this weekend, we split 20 gallons of wort and used different yeasts for each 5 gallon batch. It should be interesting!

I was really turned off from the sour like tang note it added to a dubbel I made with it. Didn't work at all with the richness imo.

Back