Hefe-Weizen for my first AG Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billism

Reaction score
Hello,

I am planning on brewing an AG hefe-weizen within the next week. Since I have no experience doing so, I was wondering if I could get feedback on a recipe I found, or if any experienced brewers can recomend a good hefe-weizen recipe?

This is the one I found that I am considering:
http://www.ratebeer.com/Recipe.asp?RecipeID=142

Also, anyone know if "Fawcett" Wheat Malt is a specific wheat malt needed? What is "Fawcett"?

Thanks!

That looks like a good recipe to me. Any wheat malt is fine. I would also include 1/2# rice hulls since this is your first AG attempt. It will help prevent a stuck mash on account of the wheat. Also, don't use any Irish moss or Whirlfloc for this recipe as you want it cloudy.

not to rainn on your parade, but i wouldnt do a wheat beer as your first AG. its just so sticky and has many potential problems. do it after a couple shots with beers based on 2-row. a pale ale makes a good AG intro. (this is from personal experience, don't want you as frustrated as i was when doing something completely new on a piece if equipment youve never tried.)

If you do a hefe for your first, be sure to use a blow-off tube for your airlock. Those things ferment like crazy!

I don't see any real issues with the posted recipe. It may be a wheat beer but it only uses 40% wheat. My last batch was a weizenbock with 60% wheat that I milled pretty fine trying to push the limit on extraction. I set up for a very slow sparge, not in fear of a stuck runoff but for maximum extraction due to the high gravity I was attempting to reach. It paid off, exceeded my calculated gravity and no stuck runoff.

With that said, I would agree with drengel. Brewing ag for the first time, you are actually putting yourself and equipment through a test run and would only make sense to start simple, I would also add cheap. No matter how well or bad it goes, it will only gets better after that.

Back