Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Local "pub" tv commercial.
-I put pub purposely into quotes because its just a dive bar but they call themselves a pub.

"coldest beer in town"

shows bar maid with frosted over sun glasses as she pours beer into a glass that appears to have dry ice in it.

Everyday people I don't mind being ignorant about beer because to them its just another choice between a coke or Pepsi. But for a bar to continue the myth that colder is better is hard for me to take.

Colder is better when you're talking about crappy tasting beer. For me to drink a Budweiser I'd want it to be as cold as possible to mask the wet cardboard flavor.

Mass produced Mexican lager is the only Mexican beer I've had, and I like it, and I have to have lime juice on the rim. I'm sorry, I'm so ashamed. (for the record, I only like XX Amber and Negra Modelo) So, so ashamed!

I wonder if that would work.
I know that fruits and vegetables will take on slight characteristics of what they are grown next to. I've eaten spicy tomoatoes that were grown intermixed with jalapenos.

Not sure if it would work with hops because we're only pulling the oompa loopmas and/or acids, and not eating the vegetation.
You put OOMPA LOOMPAS in your beer?... I guess I've been doing it wrong..

Mass produced Mexican lager is the only Mexican beer I've had, and I like it, and I have to have lime juice on the rim. I'm sorry, I'm so ashamed. (for the record, I only like XX Amber and Negra Modelo) So, so ashamed!
I'm confused, what are you ashamed of? That's like admitting you like mac and cheese once in a while.

Once in a while I like to go to this little hole-in-the-wall Mexican joint and scarf down a plate of enchiladas. Nothing washes that down better than a good, cold Negra Modelo. That's damn fine beer.

I'm confused, what are you ashamed of? That's like admitting you like mac and cheese once in a while.
Yep. It was 94° tonight when we started drill, and spent the better part of an hour cutting a car up (extrication/jaws of life practice..in full bunker gear) A few of us head down to the VFW after drill for a couple cold ones... that first Bud Light bottle hit the table in front of me, and I found the bottom of that in about three minutes. DAMN did it hit the spot.

Local "pub" tv commercial.
-I put pub purposely into quotes because its just a dive bar but they call themselves a pub.

"coldest beer in town"

shows bar maid with frosted over sun glasses as she pours beer into a glass that appears to have dry ice in it.

Everyday people I don't mind being ignorant about beer because to them its just another choice between a coke or Pepsi. But for a bar to continue the myth that colder is better is hard for me to take.

Please tell me this is on YouTube! I don't know why I'm picturing some weird 80s commercial.

My coworkers heard that I homebrew their responses were priceless. One said that she was a, "beer snob" she only drank Mich Ultra. another said that he was a beer aficionado, I asked what he like to drink and he said B-Light. My favorite response though...MY FAVORITE. One girl said, "I would never try beer made at someone's house" I said Well, what beers do you drink? She said (verbatim) "only good beers, you know, Bud Light and Corona Light". Okay budlight, sure. But corona light? You are more concerned with hooch outta my house than **** from Mexico? we are no longer friends!

I do one of two things when I order a beer in a mainstream restaurant. Either I ask for a warm glass

I worked in restaurants and bars all through college and part time after I got my first "real" job. You would be surprised how many folks, even in Oklahoma, will order a warm pint glass when they get a (rarely offered) Pale Ale.

The only place in 12 years of ordering my own beers that way in the same town that gave me a funny look was a hole-in-the-wall BBQ joint that only carried SNPA because we asked him to. The owner started carrying it only after eight of began coming in every Thursday (all you can eat rib night) and I told him he could sell a case or more of it a week for twice what he charged for Bud Light. He averaged two cases a night on Thursday....the beer more than doubled our bill but we did take up the the prime outdoor table or corner booth for about two hours. We also tending to have to stumble back to my place.

You would be surprised how many folks, even in Oklahoma, will order a warm pint glass when they get a (rarely offered) Pale Ale.
I guess that depends on the area. I live in a college town (Fayetteville). Went to a local restaurant which boasts having 100+ diff beers available. I figured they'd be somewhat beer savvy.

Not only did they think it was strange that I didn't want a frozen glass but there wasn't even a room temp one available in the place. I had em bring me the glass and then warmed it with my hands. Makes me cringe to think many of the 100 beers being drank half frozen taste like **** to those college kids.

Isn't the Beer/Ale thing rooted in some states with really stupid and antiquated ABC laws? That was always my (possibly mis-)perception.

For some reason, I thought like in Texas anything over a certain ABV was legally required to be labeled an "Ale" even if it was a lager.

Isn't the Beer/Ale thing rooted in some states with really stupid and antiquated ABC laws? That was always my (possibly mis-)perception.

For some reason, I thought like in Texas anything over a certain ABV was legally required to be labeled an "Ale" even if it was a lager.

This was true up until last year here in Texas. Probably led to a lot of confusion.

"Legal Disclaimer: The Brewer's Friend ABV calculator is for entertainment purposes and should not be used for professional brewing. No warranty or guarantee of accuracy is provided on the information provided by this calculator."

"Entertainment"?! Not "estimating" or "informational" purposes? LOL!

Because the Lawyers told us exactly what to say. :mug:

Because the Lawyers told us exactly what to say. :mug:

This is admittedly :off:, but... I've seen a lot of disclaimers in many different industries, and never seen the word "entertainment" used. I work in the engineering business and see calculated values presented in reports for "estimating" or "informational purposes only", but never "entertainment". Maybe it's different for the internet. Who am I to argue with a lawyer (during business hours). I've been directed to use certain language (usually against my preference) by lawyers many times. Lawyers do serve a purpose.

For what it's worth, I was definitely "entertained" and impressed by all your calculators. I will use them often. Thank you very much for providing them! And sorry if I offended anyone. :mug:

Went to a grill/bar the other day. Our waitress asks if I want anything on tap, which I noticed was just about all BMC (shocktop, bluemoon as 'crafts'). I asked if there was anything local on tap.

Her: you mean the ipa?
Me: uhhhhh well is the ipa local?
Her: I don't know really. Do you want it?
Me: If its local....
She went to ask the bartender.
Her: We have a local beer called Rohrbach Scottish (mispronouncing the brewing company from down the road).
Me: I'll take the Scotch Ale.

To be fair she tried hard and made sure I liked the beer; she got a good tip. Still the whole conversation made me chuckle.

in a bar in London while surrounded by old skins & punks from the '60s & '70s:"Another Import (Bud), mate! I really like it! It has great flavor." I then asked the barman why all these old punks & skins were paying imort prices for such crappy beer when he had tons of great stuff on tap. he replied, "Floccin' imports. They think it's great because it came from somewhere else."

Disclaimer: This funny, yet true, anecdote is not verbatim and intended for entertainment purposes only.

This is admittedly :off:, but... I've seen a lot of disclaimers in many different industries, and never seen the word "entertainment" used. I work in the engineering business and see calculated values presented in reports for "estimating" or "informational purposes only", but never "entertainment". Maybe it's different for the internet. Who am I to argue with a lawyer (during business hours). I've been directed to use certain language (usually against my preference) by lawyers many times. Lawyers do serve a purpose.

For what it's worth, I was definitely "entertained" and impressed by all your calculators. I will use them often. Thank you very much for providing them! And sorry if I offended anyone. :mug:

What about the commercials for those late-night phone lines? Those say "for entertainment purposes only."

Not that I know anything about such things. I just...uh...*backs away slowly*

drainbamage said:
What about the commercials for those late-night phone lines? Those say "for entertainment purposes only."

Not that I know anything about such things. I just...uh...*backs away slowly*

Two words: Shake weight. Hours of...um..."entertainment" for only $19.95 (plus S&H). But wait, there's more...

I will only drink any of the mass produced Mexican lagers if I have limes in them. I enjoy them...not as beer of course, but as a mixed drink. And that's how I refer to them.

Blue Moon is awful so...yeah...I wouldn't drink it regardless.

I would consider Bohemia mass produced and I love me that stuff plain.

My second favorite, and most often heard funny thing said about beer is when talking beer with [insert your own adjective] people, and they say they can’t drink “Lagers” because they are too dark/bitter, so they only drink beers like Bud,Miller,Coors… :cross:

I heard the opposite of this last week. My girlfriend's coworker said "I only like ales, not beer"

Me - Well ales are a type of beer.

Her - I know I just mean I don't like Bud Lite or anything like that.

I decided not to yell across the table explaining to her that there are full flavored beers, plus she was on the right track. I even let her try some of the Jester King Wytchmaker I was drinking and she didn't seem put off by it unlike the other coworker who immediately complained about the bitterness.

Two words: Shake weight. Hours of...um..."entertainment" for only $19.95 (plus S&H). But wait, there's more...

I get a kick out of those brass knuckles, throwing stars, knives, etc., sold in the back pages of sporting magazines. There's usually a disclaimer, like: "for entertainment purposes only." Or they refer to the item as "a nice paper weight" or "conversation starter."

Yeah, you'll sure get a conversation started if you're frisked by a cop and that stuff is found in your pockets. :(

I get a kick out of those brass knuckles, throwing stars, knives, etc., sold in the back pages of sporting magazines. There's usually a disclaimer, like: "for entertainment purposes only." Or they refer to the item as "a nice paper weight" or "conversation starter."

Yeah, you'll sure get a conversation started if you're frisked by a cop and that stuff is found in your pockets. :(

Yeah I was going to say I don't think i would really want to start a conversation over a pair of brass knuckles :D

MaxStout said:

You can for sure end a conversation with those.

So I can come out of the (Mexican beer with lime) closet?
You already did. Now it's time for the coming out party. :ban:

Yeah I was going to say I don't think i would really want to start a conversation over a pair of brass knuckles :D
No, but they make for a great punch line.:tank:

Thought of another one. I was at HEB in Austin while visiting my parents, trying to decide on a Belgian beer to grab. There's a lady there handing out samples of 3 different Belgians, so taste test time of course.

First off: I heard her use terms like flame out, and after I remarked she knew what she was talking about she told me about that her father was Pierre Celis (founder of Hoegaarden and Celis).

So on to the "funny thing": one of the beers was Lupulus. After she told me "Lupulus means wolf in Latin which is why there is a wolf on the label I remarked "and it is one of the scientific names for hops she replied "no that's humulus!"

Side note: apparently Celis will reopen in Austin sometime soon.

gometz said:
Thought of another one. I was at HEB in Austin while visiting my parents, trying to decide on a Belgian beer to grab. There's a lady there handing out samples of 3 different Belgians, so taste test time of course.

First off: I heard her use terms like flame out, and after I remarked she knew what she was talking about she told me about that her father was Pierre Celis (founder of Hoegaarden and Celis).

So on to the "funny thing": one of the beers was Lupulus. After she told me "Lupulus means wolf in Latin which is why there is a wolf on the label I remarked "and it is one of the scientific names for hops she replied "no that's humulus!"

Side note: apparently Celis will reopen in Austin sometime soon.

That's Greek to me...

Back