Excessive head

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quaff_an_ale

Reaction score
Noobie, 1st attempt at a Blue Moon type of White. Stayed in primary until FG remained constant for 3 days. Bottled and put away for about a month. Tastes great, but when i pour, very slowly, i still get a massive head. Thick and creamy, settles in about 7-10 minutes.

image-4256392837.jpg

4 oz of corn sugar for the 5 gallon batch.

That certainly does not seem like too much. In fact it's just fine. Did you stir the sugar well in your bottling bucket? How many bottles have you tried? The next time you open one try to see if you can remember which ones you bottled first and or last to see if there is a difference.

ThickHead said:
That certainly does not seem like too much. In fact it's just fine. Did you stir the sugar well in your bottling bucket? How many bottles have you tried? The next time you open one try to see if you can remember which ones you bottled first and or last to see if there is a difference.

The ones i am drinking came from the top case, last bottled. I was wondering if it had to duevwith the wheat extract. Never brewed a white type before. There is actually a lace type marking on my pint glass. Great head retention.

image-575405214.jpg

Excessive head? no such thing... oh, we are talking about beer...

Overcarbed is my first thought but 4oz is not too much. You said slow pour so that isn't it.

What temp did you ferment at and what temp are you storing the bottles, did you allow the beer to warm up at the end of fermentation?

I'm having the same issue with a Shock Top Clone I did. It's about 6 months old now as I actually brewed it for the SWMBO and she's not drinking it. It was fine to begin with but now there is a lot of head. The way I solved the problem...got a bigger glass. I just pour it into one of my 22oz glasses and I can fit the bottle in. Beer tastes great just a lot of head.

Basement was between 66 and 68 during fermentation. It is now 72 and outside is mid to upper 80's. i am working on getting a fridge with a Johnson Controls controller so i can be more consistent with fermentation temps.

I had the same problem. I asked on here and some of the vets suggested that it could be because I didn't refrigerate the beer for long enough before pouring. I had put them in the fridge for about 4-5 hours which got them plenty cold enough, BUT, I was told to try putting them in the fridge for at least 3 days. So I tried it and it worked. The head came out perfect after that. I don't know technically what's going on by doing that, but apparently it has something to do with the beer retaining the carbonation better rather than releasing it immediately when pouring.

I had the same problem. I asked on here and some of the vets suggested that it could be because I didn't refrigerate the beer for long enough before pouring. I had put them in the fridge for about 4-5 hours which got them plenty cold enough, BUT, I was told to try putting them in the fridge for at least 3 days. So I tried it and it worked. The head came out perfect after that. I don't know technically what's going on by doing that, but apparently it has something to do with the beer retaining the carbonation better rather than releasing it immediately when pouring.

Cold liquid holds more CO2 than warm, but it takes a while to absorb the CO2 from the headspace.

Andy makes a fine point here. How long has the beer been chilling in the fridge?

Happened to my first batch as well (AHBS Budget IPA). OG 1.060, FG 1.010. Fermented at 72, conditioning at 72. 4.4 oz Priming to 5gal....(4.2 was rec'd but it was a 4.5oz bag and I figured 0.3 oz couldn't make too much difference?) BUT I only had bottle in fridge for about 20hr's....will try the 3day thing next.

Don't know how long they have been in the fridge. At least 2 days. I will leave some in for about a week.
Thanks for all the responses.
I'm checking out of this thread

Bottled: american light, pale ale, belgian white
Primary: ESB
Secondary: Kölsch style

Back