Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSamu

Reaction score
Considering brewing a saison. Does it ferment at ale temp or larger temp. I Don't have the setup for larger.
:mug:

Ale+++ Some yeast varieties like temps upwards of 85degF. They like to start at normal Ale temps then ramp up over the fermenting cycle.

Yep. Saison yeasts like it warm. The low start helps hold down fusel alcohol, then you let it rise until it finishes out.

And I highly recommend Wyeast 3711 yeast. It's a monster and doesn't stall out like some saison yeasts tend to.

So start around 65 then raise the temp up over 24 hours? Or how slow should I do it? I to am considering a saison for my next brew using wyeast 3724. It like the temp of 70 to 95. Also do you guys have any tips of keeping it at this temp? I was thinking tuberware with a fish tank heater.

Fermentation is an exothermic reaction so it's going to generate it's own heat. If you're not keeping your fermenter in a really cold area you can probably just wrap it in an old blanket and it'll warm itself.

Probably want to keep it cool for about the first 24 hours after the first signs of fermentation and then let it heat up on it's own.

I've made two batches with 3522 Ardennes. Great stuff! Started both batches at 68. Let the first rise to 75F and the 2nd to 85F.

I also added a pound of date sugar to the second when I let it rise. I like them both but I definitely prefer the Date Saison.

I did a Saison with WLP565. Pitched at 80F and turned on the heat pad to hold the temp. Accidently hit 90 for 12 hours. Turned out to be a very good beer. Even the BMC crowd liked it.

And I highly recommend Wyeast 3711 yeast. It's a monster and doesn't stall out like some saison yeasts tend to.

This is a good choice for your first Saison. It is not as finicky as some of the other Saison yeasts. Works in a wide temp range, and always finishes low.

To update, I got to try my first commercial Saison today: Goose Island's Sofie. Was super surprised to see how similar it tasted to the Saison I made!

bleme said:
To update, I got to try my first commercial Saison today: Goose Island's Sofie. Was super surprised to see how similar it tasted to the Saison I made!

Others may disagree but Sopfie is not a true Saison from my understanding. Don't get me wrong, I love the stuff! 2011 is the best year IM0. What year did you try?

Jlaw3000 said:
Nice, did crisp and tart dominate or saison funk?

Compared to the Saison brought by Pendragon, brewed with Brett, I'd have to say crisp and tart :D

I know it was 95F out there yesterday and Sofie was VERY popular!

Back