DIN mount SSR, anyone using them? Are there benefits?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Squeeky

Reaction score
HBT,

Anyone using DIN mount SSRs? I'm looking at building my automated control panel and curios about using DIN rail SSRs. I realize it's just a heatsink but do they do a better job then the traditional panel mount HS? I would likely try to place it inline on same rail as other terminals and such. Would the heat be passed down the rail? I have found some 40A versions for about $32 and think it would be worth the extra $20 to keep everything DIN mount assuming they work as well.

Squeeky

I am curious about this as well. I am just planning for my control box and wasn't clear on the benefits of a DIN rail. Is it just an organization thing?

DIN rails advantage is on the installation. All the components just snap onto it thus avoiding having to mount each individual component on the back plane. Also it makes it much easier to reconfigure components if you need to move things around. There are no advantages in regards toco ponent performance.

Is anyone using the DIN mount SSR's and heatsinks, and recommend going that route? Are you using a fan (external/internal)?

http://www.oscsys.com/store/product/1001674

I would love to use them but I'm worried they would get too hot and fail based on what I've read on this forum. (If that is the case, why would such a product exist?)

If I have to drill a hole in my panel for a fan I think I would rather follow the kal style with the big heatsink external.

Thanks.

I contacted Open Source Control Systems and they said that with the size enclosure I'm using (16x16x8) that it should be fine without a fan. I think I'm going to go for it unless I hear from someone who has actually used them like this and has had a negative experience.

One other thing to consider if using standard SSR, would be to mount directly to enclosure with heatsink on other side. Use a little thermal paste and sand down any paint.

I started my setup before OC started stocking DIN ones. Using the same size enclosures with my BT and not planning any fans.

I am using typical SSRs with the smaller individual heatsinks. @ironmountainbrew I'm with you, they are made to slide right on DIN rails so that's what I did. I am however using a 6" fan blowing into my 20x20x8 box and then venting out the top. At times during my brew I have 4 240v elements running simultaneously and the fan has kept everything happy. I debated using the fan but I'm glad I did as they do get warm. If I was only running one or two high power SSRs at a time I think it would be fine withut it in a spacious box.

I'm using 2 wattlow din-a-mites and everything in my box besides the switches and PIDs is mounted on din rails in a 10x14x6 box. It's tight, but the top of my box barely gets warm brewing with 2 5500 watt heaters. In these pics , I ended up replacing the smaller wattlow with another larger one so I could run the 2 5500 watt elements as the original 3500 watt in my BK was just a little to slow for me.

b.jpg

Brew Controller Build.jpg

c.jpg

Back