TARDIS fridge. AKA WHAT HAVE I DONE?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm stupid. My daughter is a big Dr. Who fan. I also love the Sci-Fi stuff and with that all said, I VOLUNTEERED to turn their dorm fridge into a model of the TARDIS before she goes off to college (in 6 days...)

The fridge has a slightly curved front door, so I plan to shim the outer edges with a strip of wood and then glue a flat piece of luan or plywood across the front to get it flat and then start adding the strips of wood that will make up the "framing" of the TARDIS.

Then I'd paint the whole thing blue and stick on some graphics, like the wording and windows and whatnot.

I can't see how in hell I'm going to do all of that in that much time. Did I mention that after work on Friday I have a bachelor's party to attend? And Saturday the wedding and reception? So let's just say I have 4 days...

I might need to take some time off work to get all of this stuff done.

Ahem.........guess I need to check out that show.......

Online there might be a stick on decal or something.

Oh wow...I wish you luck, I have no advice unfortunately. Work smarter, not harder? Definitely this would be more than I could chew :)

You're building a time machine but you don't have the time.....?

At least it'll be bigger on the inside. It'll make a great kegerator once your daughter's finished with it :cool:

Sounds like you've got your hands full! A vinyl wrap would be the easiest, next to painting, but it could show a lot more detail. But if you really want to do the project justice you'll have to get out the woodworking shop. Sounds like an awesome project! Let's see some pics when you're done.

Sounds like you've got your hands full! A vinyl wrap would be the easiest, next to painting, but it could show a lot more detail. But if you really want to do the project justice you'll have to get out the woodworking shop. Sounds like an awesome project! Let's see some pics when you're done.

Seconded. Pics will be mandatory.

I thought about printing a graphic and gluing it on, but I don't think it would do it justice. I think you really need to flatten the front and give the thing some relief with wood framing. Any portion of this project on it's own would be doable, but cutting and gluing, AND painting, AND printing and attaching the graphics might be too much.

Oh, and it's supposed to be a secret from her. I'm supposed to be seeing if the fridge can be "fixed" I guess. I don't know what she and her friend (and roommate and alsogeek) were told as to why I have the thing.

I'm going to need the table saw, thickness planer, edge planer, router table, drill...

So much for brewing that next batch of beer this week. Hoping the blonde ale gets cold and carbed very very soon.

Homercidal, I can't decide if I love you or hate you, now that I've got images of a Tardis-themed conversion for my kegerator bouncing around in my head. Hopefully the vicarious thrill of seeing your project come together will be enough to get the idea out of my head...

Good luck!

Homercidal, I can't decide if I love you or hate you, now that I've got images of a Tardis-themed conversion for my kegerator bouncing around in my head. Hopefully the vicarious thrill of seeing your project come together will be enough to get the idea out of my head...

Good luck!

Definately gonna have to make a Tardiserator (but with a better name). Now I just need to find a fridge that's "Bigger on the inside."

I'm seriously considering pulling out of this project due to time issues. I bought stuff for it last night, but I also printed a graphic for sticking on the front instead of going all out. I just can't see being done before she needs the fridge.

On the plus side, I now have most of the stuff I'd need for my TARDIS Ferm Chamber. And it will be easier since the front of my ferm chamber is flat!

If the graphic doesn't look too bad I'll probably do this. It would be a better project overall.

Kind of wish I hadn't given away that small small fridge to a friend. It would have made a perfect tardiserator!

You need to have it make that TARDIS noise when you open the door! :)

Agreed. And the light on top flashes on and off. Both things I plan to put into my ferm chamber. The light would be easy. IIRC one of my kids had a Dr. Who sound effects keychain thing. I bet I could rig a switch on the door to activate it.

If you're 'fixing' it, maybe it takes a couple weeks longer to get 'parts' for it.

If you're 'fixing' it, maybe it takes a couple weeks longer to get 'parts' for it.

I tired that route, but my kid and her friend need a fridge as soon as they get down there.

The graphic looked pretty good and I'll try and print up a better version today and get it put on.

Wife said they were going to put their microwave on top, so no light on top either.

I'll be starting on the Ferm chamber tardis next week I think. By the time I get her fridge done and a few other chores it will be the weekend.

Could you integrate the microwave on top with the fridge, and put the light on top of that?

I can't see how it would look like a TARDIS with a microwave on top. Plus I don't have the microwave and I'm running out of time. I keep finding out about more stuff we need to do before this weekend.

I'm just ready to move on to the ferm chamber. Her dorm friends will probably enjoy it as it will be, but I really want to make a more authentic version for myself.

This will be much easier to build than the Benderator portable serving station I was thinking about a few years ago. Or the R2 unit...

This now makes me want to build TARDIS-Themed items...too bad SWMBO is not a Whovian

Ditto - though my SWMBO did find me this pretty awesome t-shirt at christmas last year... I usually get a comment or two when I wear it - it's actually surprising how many Whovians you find in suburban parts of CT...

Last edited by a moderator:
Printed the graphics last night. Had an issue where there wasn't enough glossy photo paper plus the fact that I couldn't find the paper type option, so I only got the front to print and it's a bit dark.

I went ahead and changed to regular paper and it's not as thick and nice, but the color is better and after swapping the magenta printhead for a new one the quality is pretty good.

Plans to adhes the graphics to the fridge tonight. I think it will look ok. Not as nice as actually putting wood bits on it. I'll post pics when it's done if it turns out ok.

You're building a time machine but you don't have the time.....?

At least it'll be bigger on the inside. It'll make a great kegerator once your daughter's finished with it :cool:

Hell, we can put a whole brewery in there....

DPB

Just take as much time as you need, then, when you are finished travel back in time and give it to her when she needs it.

Go old school with the micro and turn it into K-9. :fro:

Just take as much time as you need, then, when you are finished travel back in time and give it to her when she needs it.

imagesqtbnANd9GcR4m6CyXWPntJZbdJamF0IjQI5Y_Rk-rucOcd6iI8RkUDQGlSWfcJWJoXN2cA.jpg
drwho.gif
EmotiKingdom__Doctor_Who_by_RJDaae.gif
K9.png

Damn you!

So are we gonna see pics of this thing? I was hoping top see some of the process.

I took some before pics. After I put the graphics on I'll post the results.

Then I'll start designing the REAL TARDIS! I already have half of the wood necessary to put it together (I hope) and the paint.

Only problem is I keep my mash tun and a kettle on top and I REALLY want to put a light on top. I think I know how to create a flasher circuit for the light and how to rig up the sound effects...

I just realized I forgot to photoshop the small round sticker on the right door. Too late now. I'll have to glue it on if I want to include it.

I should get dimensions for the microwave and build a papercraft K-9 to put it into. I can take it down one of these weekends when we go to Broncos Football game (She'll be playing piccolo in the marching band.)

Thanks! It would have been nicer with the top finished off, but there is limited space in a dorm and they already planned on doing the microwave thing. I'm going to try and remember to take measurements of the microwave when we move them down on Sunday. I can totally picture K-9 with a microwave on the side. Just have to make sure it gets good ventilation.

And thank God for having a large format printer at work!

Back