Keg full of ice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HollisBT

Reaction score
Hello all, looking for some insight as to what may have happened in my kegerator...

I just finished off my first keg, my kölsch, and when I pulled the keg out of the refrigerator, I noticed that the keg was somewhat full of ice. Has anyone else had this happen before? The fridge is set to stay around 40 degrees, although this one keg was possibly in the coldest spot in the fridge... Did I accidentally freeze distill a beer?

Not to be obnoxious or a smart A$$, but yes, if there is ice then it froze as the only thing that can create that is too cold a temperature:drunk:

sounds like you have beer yeti. This is why sanitation is a must.

Yes your beer froze, serve your beer warmer.44 is optimal for most ales.

It's actually a technique used in certain styles of beer. It's called fractional freezing (obviously it's done a little differently that what you achieved). An eisbock is made by fractionally freezing a doppelbock but its more commonly seen in the US with beers labeled "ice" (ie Bud Ice).

In the future, keep a fan constantly running in the fridge to circulate cold air to the top of the fridge. If you're still have problems, consider using a temperature controller with a fan solution.

runningweird said:
sounds like you have beer yeti. This is why sanitation is a must.

Yes your beer froze, serve your beer warmer.44 is optimal for most ales.

Beer yeti? That is a term I have not heard before... What is that and how is it linked to sanitation?

The fridge (at the bottom and in the center) stays at slightly north of 40 degrees, I just put the thermometer where that keg was to see what the temp is there...

crazyworld said:
It's actually a technique used in certain styles of beer. It's called fractional freezing (obviously it's done a little differently that what you achieved). An eisbock is made by fractionally freezing a doppelbock but its more commonly seen in the US with beers labeled "ice" (ie Bud Ice).

In the future, keep a fan constantly running in the fridge to circulate cold air to the top of the fridge. If you're still have problems, consider using a temperature controller with a fan solution.

Someone can feel free to correct me, but I do believe freeze distillation is illegal to do on an individual level, and illegal to sell as anything other than a distilled liquor, bud ice can be sold as a malt beverage and not a liquor.

I'd imagine that this keg was sitting right up against the cooling coils- and thus, got a lot colder than the rest of the kegerator. Happened to me. I raised my temperature control up a notch, pulled the keg a hair away from the wall, and all was well.

And no, "freeze distillation", also referred to "eisbocking", is perfectly legal in the US. This has been covered several times on the forum, but keeps coming up as an old rumor (similar to homebrew beer causing blindness, and just as ridiculous)

If your temperature probe was too near the top of the keezer it might have kept the compressor running too long. (I had that happen to me.) I moved the probe to the mid/bottom of the keezer and haven't had a problem since. I don't have a fan circulating the air.

Never mind. I see that it was in a fridge. In that case, I don't have a clue:drunk:

Hi

First make sure you probe is not hanging out in air. Second make sure it's not being blocked by the keg. Then get a thermometer you can trust and figure out what the fridge is really doing temperature wise. You do not want to be freezing beer on a regular basis. You should be able to maintain 36 to 38F with no trouble at all (meaning no freezing beer).

Bob

nope molson, labatt, bud, natty, ice are all freeze fractionated. It's probably considered a liquor above a certain ABV.
Hmmm, well I learn something new every day :)
I'd imagine that this keg was sitting right up against the cooling coils- and thus, got a lot colder than the rest of the kegerator. Happened to me. I raised my temperature control up a notch, pulled the keg a hair away from the wall, and all was well.

And no, "freeze distillation", also referred to "eisbocking", is perfectly legal in the US. This has been covered several times on the forum, but keeps coming up as an old rumor (similar to homebrew beer causing blindness, and just as ridiculous)

Yes, this keg was the closest to where the cold air was coming from. I have raised the temp and we will see. FWIW, the last few pints, after I knew it was concentrated, where legitemately the best and really did taste concentrated. Was good though :)

I honestly thought that any form of removing water to concentrate alcohol was illegal, but that is great to know :)

Back