Recommendations for ingredient kits?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csdrums

Reaction score
Best kits and best places to get them? I'd really like to make a dunkle any suggestions?

I think if you go to any reputable homebrew shop, local or online, that makes their own kits (i.e. its not a boxed up kit, they put the ingredients together themselves), you're probably going to get a good kit.

I do not have specific recommendations, as i've not brewed a dunkel kit. If you refer to a typical dunkel vs a dunkelweizen, keep in mind that a dunkel is a lager, which requires controlling fermentation temps in the 50s. I say this because I assume based on your question that you're relatively new to all this, if my assumption is off base, I apologize. :D

I get my stuff from either Austin Homebrew or Brewstock in new orleans, but that's just a location preference.

I like Northern Brewer's kits a lot. Another nice online site is MoreBeer. But as the previous poster stated any reputable vendor, either local or online is a fine place to get a kit.

Brewer's best always put out some good kits. You can go to your LHBS or go online to midwestsupplies.com, northernbrewer.com, or williamsbrewing.com to name 3 of the internet sites. I personally like to go to my LHBS to get my ingredients unless they don't carry it.

BrewKnurd is right about the Dunkel unless you are referring to a darker hefeweizein that is (perhaps incorrectly) referred to as dunkelweizen?

Also agree with Austin Homebrew and would add Midwest Supplies and Northern Brewer, all three should have a kit that matches what you want - lager or wheat or other. Good luck

Thanks, I'll check them out. I am very new to this but I'm looking for a fridge or some way to be able to ferment a lager at the proper temp.

What is the best way to keep the fermenting temp down at 50 for a lager?

Do you know where I could get one? Most fridges are meant to be kept below 40.

I brewed the Austin homebrew and kegged it last week. I used the wyeast 3068. It came out delicious. Plenty of banana and clove. I also harvested the yeast to make more of the same.

the brewers best kit will give you directions on brewing as an ale rather than a lager. brewed the BB kit once and turned out fine as an ale. just brewed the austin brew dunkel last weekend and went with the lager yeast. we'll see

Picked up the dunkleweisse kit from my local and a bunch of info on brewing a lager. Thanks for the help.

Back