Hopbursting....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Cheesefood said:
I see you made the Freedom Ale. Does it really only cost a buck o'fav??

For you, there's a hefty fukkin' fee!!!!!! :D

I recently made a batch of "Freedom Ale"--in which I used a "green board" technique of "hop-bursting".
Essentially you brew an IPA style but you don't add bittering hops. All you add is multiple additions of hops with 30 minutes left in the boil. In my case, I mixed equal parts of Amarillo, Cascade, and Perle hops and added at 5 different time during the boil.

Well, instead of brewing today I decided to do some brewing maintenance, clean some kegs, rack over/bottle some beers, and what-not. I just tasted the hop-bursted Freedom Ale from primary and WOWEE!!! Smooth hops flavor and plenty of bitterness. I think this will be a pretty neat beer when it gets carbed up and not so green.

Has anyone else heard of hopbursting or maybe like the idea?

I don't follow the explanation about adding at 30 minutes, but also adding it at severl times???

Do you mean that you add hops STARTING at 30 minutes and do this at regular intervals until the 30 minutes expires?

This sounds pretty much the same as Dog Fish Head's "XX Minute IPA" brewing process, except that they do 60, 90, and 120 minute boils instead of 30 minutes, adding equal parts of theirt hops 'salad' every 5 to 10 minutes.

-walker

There was a Dept. Dean at I beleive Simon Frazer University (Vancouver, BC) that was fired because they eventually realized (20 years later) his PHD was from a phoney university. Thing is, he was well known for being in the top of his field.

Wish I could remember what dept. and the details...

How would you compare your hopbursting ale to an IPA taste wise?

Dogfish Head takes this to an extreme in their 60/90/120 minute IPAs. ".. our unique continuous hopping program, where they receive a single hop addition that lasts over the course of the entire boil (60, 90 and 120 minutes respectively). "

Had a 60 with lunch today. Good stuff and not even Left Coast!

Back