Oatmeal Stout Yooper's Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Transferring to keg now, and the hydro sample is fantastic- even at 68 degrees! Very smooth, just some roast, and full-bodied. OG was 1.055, FG at 1.014 for a BeerSmith ABV of 5.35%. Very pleased with this so far, at only 10 days since brewing. Kyle

Bob and I were just talking about this last night. He went grocery shopping and came home with a box of Quaker's oats. He just smiled and handed it to me, and said, "Please?"

I'm making a 10 gallon batch as soon as my Brewmaster's Warehouse order comes in with the pale chocolate malt!

My first attempt came out medium bodied and slightly sweet. Its delicious, but is this how its supposed to taste? I had to make a grain substitution.

Yooper, I'm just getting off the road and want to brew something for Thanksgiving...I keg so I can force carb.

Question: would this recipe work on that short of a timeframe? I know it would get to FG and I could quick force carb, but will that be enough time from a flavor standpoint?

I've got a wit and an APA already. Was wanting one more for people to select from and an oatmeal stout sounded good.

Thanks for your thoughts.

sudsmcgee said:
I left this in the primary for 2 weeks and it was great after one week in the keg (the first two days were at 30 PSI).

You read my mind! Was exactly what I'd planned to do. Excellent news that it was tasty that soon. Looks like I'll be heading to the LHBS at lunch. :)

Yooper, I'm just getting off the road and want to brew something for Thanksgiving...I keg so I can force carb.

Question: would this recipe work on that short of a timeframe? I know it would get to FG and I could quick force carb, but will that be enough time from a flavor standpoint?

I've got a wit and an APA already. Was wanting one more for people to select from and an oatmeal stout sounded good.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Yes, it should be fine. It did take a bit longer to really meld together for me, but it was drinkable within 4 weeks for sure.

They are not interchangeable, although the names are very close!

Briess' Black Barley: http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/product/0102215/briess-black-barley

If your LHBS doesn't carry black barley, you could use roasted barley instead, with a tiny bit of black patent for the black color. (like 1 ounce of the patent), or maybe this: http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/product/0101463/francobelges-kiln-coffee I haven't tried the coffee malt, though!

So I just got off the phone with LHBS. They don't have it. No Coffee Malt, either.

They do have debittered black. (I know that hasn't come up in the thread but thought I'd mention.)

So, based on your response above, do 7oz roasted and 1 oz black patent? I was wondering if the roasted barley sub should be backed off a bit.

One of the things I like about the descriptions of your recipe is that it is on the mellow side of stout. I thought that would be most approachable for my Thanksgiving crowd. I'd prefer to be cautious on the flavor profile.

Any further guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Update: Delicious. It's been on tap what, a week now, and it's amazing. Still not carbed, but I've been holding it at about 12psi and just letting it clarify. Very smooth, with an awesome roast/chocolate/coffee(ish) nose. Oatmeal is there, not overwhelming, and perfectly balanced. I tend to drink a glass wayyyyy to quick. Excellent! Kykle

I'm brewing this today, exactly as written, except for changing the yeast. I still have decided which yeast strain to use but am thinking Wyeast 1275 Thames Valley. OR, I have a nice fresh slurry of Denny's Favorite 50.

Denny's is amazing in any beer I've tasted it in. Especially like it in ESB's.

I am brewing this tomorrow, it will be my 1st all grain brew. Due to a brain malfunction while in the homebrew store, I will be using 8 pounds of Marris Otter and 12 total ounces of Chocolate Malt. Hoping it goes well.

Thanks for the recipe.

After our last homebrew club meeting, I decided I'm doing an oatmeal stout. I really like the looks of this and the positive comments.

I've never brewed a stout, so I'm wondering about the oatmeal. Do I need to do a cereal mash or anything special? Or do I just throw the oatmeal in with my crushed grains and mash it all like usual?

After our last homebrew club meeting, I decided I'm doing an oatmeal stout. I really like the looks of this and the positive comments.

I've never brewed a stout, so I'm wondering about the oatmeal. Do I need to do a cereal mash or anything special? Or do I just throw the oatmeal in with my crushed grains and mash it all like usual?

I've done it both ways. Last time, I used steel cut oats (which must be cooked) so I did a cereal mash while I was at it. If you use LHBS flaked oats, or Quaker's Quick Oats, they can go right into the mash.

Ok, I'll do the flaked oats. I've never done a cereal mash before, so this will keep it simple for me. And I like how you have the recipe ready-to-go at rebelbrewer.com. Thanks!

By the way, which yeast did you go with? I'll be brewing this per the recipe as shown.

P.S. How 'bout dem Packers??!! I'll be sad when they lose one; I just hope it's against a good team and a well fought battle. And not the Super Bowl!!!!! ;)

Ok, I'll do the flaked oats. I've never done a cereal mash before, so this will keep it simple for me. And I like how you have the recipe ready-to-go at rebelbrewer.com. Thanks!

By the way, which yeast did you go with? I'll be brewing this per the recipe as shown.

P.S. How 'bout dem Packers??!! I'll be sad when they lose one; I just hope it's against a good team and a well fought battle. And not the Super Bowl!!!!! ;)

I used Denny's Favorite 50 the last few times, and I really like it. But I think I like the Wyeast 1335 just as much!

I keep thinking the Packers are going to lose, but it better not be THIS Thursday!!!!!!!! Any other time would be ok with me!

I don't think I ever posted this recipe anywhere except Brewmaster's Warehouse. Maybe that's what you meant?

Whoops. Yup. brewmasters. (blushy)

Ya, I've enjoyed the Lions' success, but the Packers can continue beating them. :)

Anybody accidently use Black patent instead of the black barley like I just did? If so was it drinkable?

Hey Yooper, How you been? Was just looking for a new Stout recipe and found yours here. I am thinking about brewing this one up soon to be ready for February/March before it gets too hot outside. Wonder how this would turn out with some Bourbon Oak Chips added, hmmmm. Anyway it looks fantastic the way it is, will let you know how it turns out.

Hey Yooper, How you been? Was just looking for a new Stout recipe and found yours here. I am thinking about brewing this one up soon to be ready for February/March before it gets too hot outside. Wonder how this would turn out with some Bourbon Oak Chips added, hmmmm. Anyway it looks fantastic the way it is, will let you know how it turns out.

We're drinking some right now- I've never oaked it, but it's definitely rich enough to stand up to some oaking. this keg is about gone, unfortunately!

I brewed this yesterday to spec. I have decent airlock activity but never really got much Krausen. Today its down to zero Krausen. Is this the British ale II yeast or just the recipe? Ambient air temp is about 65.

Cheers

I brewed this yesterday to spec. I have decent airlock activity but never really got much Krausen. Today its down to zero Krausen. Is this the British ale II yeast or just the recipe? Ambient air temp is about 65.

Cheers

I don't know- I usually ferment in buckets so I've never looked to see if there was much krausen. I assume there is, as there is always a ring around the top of the beer, but I have no real idea, sorry!

I brewed this about 2 weeks ago. I primary in a glass carboy, and there was a rich, thick krausen on it.
My OG was about 1.056, and after 2 weeks it's only at 1.021. It's been kept fairly cool, so I've got in in a warmer spot hoping for a few more points. It's fairly sweet, so I'm really hoping for those points.
But ya, nice thick krausen. For whatever that's worth??

thanks for the replies.

hmm. I'm sure it's a RDWHAHB thing. I'll pull a sample next weekend and see where it's at. I hit 1.056 OG as well - hopefully I can attenuate a little lower than 1.021 - good luck with yours finishing where you want it hope!

I ended up rousing the yeast a little bit this morning. I had warmed up the carboy for a couple days, but it only got me one point. It's got some airlock activity, so I'm hoping it's a good sign. I think it started off too cool and the yeast fell out too quickly. This is the first time I've done this, so I'll see how much good it does. (I'm hoping it does at least 5 points worth of good; the beer's just too sweet right now)

Yooper, A+ on this. I aged it for 2 month's and forced carbed for 1 month and it's outstanding. Tapped it today with a Pumpkin Spiced Ale for my holiday visitors, and I know it's going to be a hit. Thank You!!!!

Just a follow up. I pulled a sample tonight and it looks like I'm right around 1.01, maybe a hair lower. Its tasting really good already - I can tell this beer is gonna be killer after a couple more weeks. Once it's chilled and carbed in won't last long! I just wish I had a stout tap to pour it from. I'm still shocked at how UNeventful the fermentation was.

Cheers

I've had this beer fermenting for 2.5 weeks at around 62 degrees. I took a gravity reading today and it read 1.020 and tastes wonderful! Nice full body with a silky mouthfeel. My starting gravity was 1.058(a couple points higher than what the recipe states). Is 1.020 still too high for this beer to finish at? I did move it to a warmer location(about 68 degrees) to see if the yeast will do anything. I'm planning on bottling mid-week next week(I'll take another gravity reading then to see if it has changed at all).

Thanks!

It could very well be done. Mine has been at 1.020 for over a week, and I have roused the yeast and given it a warmer home. Yup, 1.020 is where it's at.

Of course I've been sampling the hydrometer samples, and I can tell its really changed a lot. For the good! Like I've been reminded by fellow brewers, this recipe calls for a higher mash temp and has a lot of nonfermentables from specialty grains. I've made my peace with the 1.020. I think we'll end up with fine beers from this recipe!

Nice! Thank you! I'm very excited to see how this turns out. I'm going to keep half the batch the way it is now and the other half is going to be made into a Java Oatmeal Stout. I'm going to try adding cold brewed coffee to taste. Hopefully it turns out similar to Bell's Java Stout! :rockin:

Just ordered this one from BrewMasters,Thanks for puttin up there Yooper!

Kind of a late Christmas Present for me ;)
It comes with a copy of Beersmith2 and a new Thermapen.

I am very new to brewing. I've got my 2nd batch ever fermenting right now, and have only used malt extracts so far. I'm a big fan of oatmeal stouts (especially Alaskan stout) and would love to make one. I don't have any equipment or the knowledge to mash the grains. Do you think this recipe or something similar using oatmeal could be made using malt extract? Could I steep the oatmeal with the other grains before the boil, or add it in during the process and just strain it before fermentation? Thanks very much.

I am very new to brewing. I've got my 2nd batch ever fermenting right now, and have only used malt extracts so far. I'm a big fan of oatmeal stouts (especially Alaskan stout) and would love to make one. I don't have any equipment or the knowledge to mash the grains. Do you think this recipe or something similar using oatmeal could be made using malt extract? Could I steep the oatmeal with the other grains before the boil, or add it in during the process and just strain it before fermentation? Thanks very much.

The oatmeal must be mashed- if you have enough space to mash all the grains plus a pound of base malt, you could probably do it.

Yooper said:
The oatmeal must be mashed- if you have enough space to mash all the grains plus a pound of base malt, you could probably do it.

Cool, thanks a lot. It'll be something to work towards after I get a few more batches under my belt.

Anyone have this finish as high as 1.026? Unless my thermometer is off (have to check that when I get home) I think my mash was right on or pretty close. My apartment has been pretty cold while this was fermenting. I had a nice vigorous fermentation in my ~58-60 degree apartment which had it rockin at a steady 64. As the fermentation began to slow down and krausen dropped, a cold snap hit and my apartment got real cold. I try not to use the heat much, if at all. Anyway I woke up one morning and the damn apartment was under 50, the beer was in the low 50s and the gravity was 1.026. I couldn't babysit it that day so it sat around at that temp, then I raised it to 65-70 for a couple of days (pain in my ass with my system so it was kind of all over the place). No dice. Gravity still at 1.026, Day 14. Hydro sample is clear, nice color and actually it tastes good. I've never had a problem getting to FG before, and I've used this yeast 4 or 5 times. I used the 1335, and I pitched an adequate amount, aerated pretty good manually and used nutrients in the boil. Anyway I am too afraid to bottle at something like 55% app. attenuation but I'm not sure what to do.

Anyone have this finish as high as 1.026? Unless my thermometer is off (have to check that when I get home) I think my mash was right on or pretty close. My apartment has been pretty cold while this was fermenting. I had a nice vigorous fermentation in my ~58-60 degree apartment which had it rockin at a steady 64. As the fermentation began to slow down and krausen dropped, a cold snap hit and my apartment got real cold. I try not to use the heat much, if at all. Anyway I woke up one morning and the damn apartment was under 50, the beer was in the low 50s and the gravity was 1.026. I couldn't babysit it that day so it sat around at that temp, then I raised it to 65-70 for a couple of days (pain in my ass with my system so it was kind of all over the place). No dice. Gravity still at 1.026, Day 14. Hydro sample is clear, nice color and actually it tastes good. I've never had a problem getting to FG before, and I've used this yeast 4 or 5 times. I used the 1335, and I pitched an adequate amount, aerated pretty good manually and used nutrients in the boil. Anyway I am too afraid to bottle at something like 55% app. attenuation but I'm not sure what to do.

Have you tried rousing the yeast? Ensure heat is up in your apartment and when your beer is in the mid 60's, swirl fermenter to resuspend the yeast. You may need to do that every couple of days for a week. I've had to rouse the yeast with a few strains, and it usually works out fine.

If that doesn't work, you could always pitch some dry yeast in to finish it out.

Cheers

Back