basement Bar with swing top

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

excaptn

Reaction score
I am in the planning process of planning to build a small basement bar, and was thinking about maximizing space by using the flip top bar/counter (hinged to open up vertically). I have been trying to find someone who has a build like this online but must not be using the correct terminology cause I can't seem to find any pictures where to bar top lifts open to allow access. Does anyone know if there is a special term for this?

I had some friends build a "Bofa" years ago. It was a sofa that folded up into a bar. You would stand in the base of the sofa and the bartop was the bottom of the sofa seat, which was inverted when opened.

If a bunch of broke, drunk guys can design and build that, I'm sure you will be fine.

Are you trying to access dry storage or cold/keg storage?

Thanks Brewmonk, I have been searching terms like Flap Hinge and Piano Hinge. I can't seem to even find a good picture of a bar top like this. Maybe they are not common anymore due to problems with the hinge. Thanks again!

I built a bar like that for someone a few years ago.

The one I made, was 2" thick walnut and the "flippable" section weighed about 40 pounds. I pictured it falling and taking a kids fingers off so I ended up convincing them to change it to a lift up, instead of a flip down.

I found some collapsible, locking shelf supports. They took a bit of adjustment, but worked like a charm.

Ed

I didn't think of the missing fingers... That is something to be considered. SWMBO has allotted me a small corner of the basement for the Bar about 4.5 feet wide and 5.5 feet deep. I am picturing an L-shaped bar with the access to be on the short side of the bar using the flip up (or down) bar top with saloon style small door to match the face of the bar.

To avoid missing fingers, just build in some small shocks. My dad and I built some built-in cabinets/window seats that double as a toy chest. We bought some heavy duty hinges/catches that make it nearly impossible for my boys to catch their hands in, even with the lid being 18" x 72" x 3/4" and having decorative trim. We considered piano hinges, but ultimately went with 3 strategically placed heavy duty brass hinges. 4+ years and no pinch fingers yet.

The drop down means you need a bit wider opening. But another advantage is that the top is not in the way, laying on the bar or sticking up in the air when you don't have it closed.

Here is a link to the support I think I used:
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10227

Here is a picture of the bar build in process:
IMG_1169.jpg

Ed

I
If a bunch of broke, drunk guys can design and build that, I'm sure you will be fine.

:D

Use door hinges.. They'll hold up better to abuse than a piano hinge, and with a drop down top, they'll be completely hidden... plus, if you want to remove the thing, you won't have to remove any screws.. removing and reinstalling the flip top is as simple as pulling a couple pins...

The only problem with a drop down top, is that it might accidentally 'drop'.. so I'd be leery of putting anything that might break on it when it's up... IOW, it would just be for looks...

What's wrong with just using saloon doors and no top? How big is the area you have to work with and what all do you need to fit in it?

:D

Use door hinges.. They'll hold up better to abuse than a piano hinge, and with a drop down top, they'll be completely hidden... plus, if you want to remove the thing, you won't have to remove any screws.. removing and reinstalling the flip top is as simple as pulling a couple pins...

The only problem with a drop down top, is that it might accidentally 'drop'.. so I'd be leery of putting anything that might break on it when it's up... IOW, it would just be for looks...What's wrong with just using saloon doors and no top? How big is the area you have to work with and what all do you need to fit in it?

Up or Down, the moving section is temporary unless you plan to crawl under it. Once you raise it and it latches, I don't think you'd have any issue with putting things on that section that would normally be found on a bar. I think there would be a far greater chance that a glass/pitcher/blender gets knocked off the bar than the 700lb capacity supports fail.

In my case the folks I did this for wanted the "full" bar so they could add an additional "stool/place".

BTW... After I found these pictures, I realized this bar was oak with walnut stain, not the walnut one I referred to in my first post.

Ed

I built a similiar bar in my basement back in October. I used 3/4" red oak for the bar top with a piano hinge, from the depot, on the flip up side. It has been working great so far. When up, the bar top sits off vertical about 15 degreees and rests on the armrail and backsplash that were miterd. When down it is resting on the trim that i did around the bar front and sides. I guess it could come crashing down if not careful but it helps that the weight is not straight up and down, it has to be pulled down to fall.

Up or Down, the moving section is temporary unless you plan to crawl under it. Once you raise it and it latches, I don't think you'd have any issue with putting things on that section that would normally be found on a bar. I think there would be a far greater chance that a glass/pitcher/blender gets knocked off the bar than the 700lb capacity supports fail.

In my case the folks I did this for wanted the "full" bar so they could add an additional "stool/place".

BTW... After I found these pictures, I realized this bar was oak with walnut stain, not the walnut one I referred to in my first post.

Ed

I hear what you're saying, but in my mind I'm envisioning a day when it doesn't 'latch' all the way... All it takes is 'once'..

It's a trade off.. either get in the habit of making 'sure' it is fully latched (drop down), or risk pinched fingers (flip up)...

drop down seems like an interesting idea.

if I was going to build it, and use door hinges, then I'd go all the way and add the door-knob into the fixed bar. Turn the doorknob, and catch the hatch as it falls.

Back