Newbie Kegger - Drop in PSI

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yournotpeter

Reaction score
I'm a newbie and kegged and forced carbonated my first beer yesterday afternoon. My process was as follows:

1) Applied 24 PSI (this was based upon the recommended temperature/volume for my beer type)
2) Released C02 through Pressure relief valve
3) Repeated steps 1 and 2 four times
4) Kept gas connected at 24 PSI and rolled keg on floor for about 10 minutes
5) Moved keg and gas (still attached at 24 PSI) to my garage where it was roughly 60 degrees (don't have a fridge yet)
6) Before bed I checked gauge and still at 24 PSI
7) Got up this morning and checked gauge and it was all the way down to 12 PSI

Any ideas why I had the drop? Assuming the temperature in the garage dropped overnight, did the level of C02 diminish because of the drop in temperature?

Any help is REALLY appreciated!

Are you sure that the gas is turned on? Pull the release valve and it should repressurize to whatever pressure it is set at.

Yep, the gas is absolutely turned on because I then just readjusted the screw in front and increased the PSI back to 24.

But I assume that's a good strategy to simply pull the release valve and it will repressurize....will try if it ever happens again.

Can the fluctuation in temperature cause PSI to drop?

Many posts on the subject, no point in restating it but a direct correlation between temps & pressure. You should be carbing at your intended serving temps.

Many posts on the subject, no point in restating it but a direct correlation between temps & pressure. You should be carbing at your intended serving temps.

Thanks, samc. I assumed and read as much but just really wanted to make sure. I appreciate everyone's patience.

This happend to me and it turned out that I had a leak.
Be sure you tighten the regulator on the tank very tight, and make sure you have a washer installed.

The drop in temp would only affect the gauge that shows you the remaining CO2 left in the tank, it wouldn't affect the set PSI gauge at all. Not sure what happened there.

Back