Pellets, Plugs or Whole Leaf?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've only used pellets. Just dumped them and by day seven they had broken apart and sunk to the bottom of the fermentor. I've used whole leaf hops in the boil and ended up getting the ball valve stuck.

another benefit of pellets for dryhopping is that they don't absorb as much beer as whole leaf.

I hear whole leaf provides better aroma. but I'm yet to have first hand results. Maybe somebody else can chime in on that.

I use pellet. They absorb less beer, settle out nicely, dont clog up my siphon, and they are pulverized so that they have more surface area... I think they are more effective. Just MHO

Plugs are only a problem because they come in big chunks. But if you're dry hopping an IPA, that probably won't be an impediment.

I dry hop in the keg and use whole hops in a bag. Easier to remove them when done.

I just transfered my first IPA to secondary and went with Amarillo pellets for the dry hopping after a long discussion with one of the guys at my LHBS. He was very helpful and described the pros and cons of each.

Back