reusing yeast cake, more than once?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debtman7

Reaction score
I did the caramel cream ale and then pitched a pale ale onto the yeast cake from that, no problems so far. Now, I'm ready to do a porter, can I reuse the yeast cake again? The yeast has had beer sitting on it for 3 weeks now, is that pushing it? Should I toss it and get some fresh yeast, or can I keep using it?

If the beer that's on it tastes good, use it once more, then discard it. Using yeast more than about 3 times in that manner is usually not recommended due to mutation and/or possible contamination. You may consider harvesting about a pint of the cake to use for pitching, then rinsing out your fermenter, since 2 beers' worth of trub/yeast is quite a bit.

Yeah, I figure I should save some and clean the bucket, it's a bit messy now :) I wasn't worried about off flavors since the first two batches were similar. Since the 3rd batch will be a high strength porter, I'm not really worried about it there either.

Back