Odd Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PalmBeachPaul

Reaction score
Hello Guys, I brewed my first AG on Saturday, I’ve pitched the yeast Saturday afternoon, stick the airlock and placed my ferment bucket in the coolest place in the house. Three hours later I had a lot of bubbles coming out of the airlock, same during Sunday (yesterday). But today I notice the airlock with one bubble every 30 seconds. I know that even with no bubbles in the airlock that doesn’t mean that fermentation is complete. I’m brewing Ed’s Wort House Ale, and the FG is supposed to be 1.011. So 2 hours ago I took a hydrometer reading and I have 1.011!!! WTF? Is it possible? Only 2 days for fermentation? How long should I leave it in the primary if this reading is correct?
I’m a little bit confused. Any thoughts?

Cheers
:mug:

What temp did you pitch your yeast at? Sounds like you just had a fast, hot fermentation. You'll still want to leave it in the primary for at least a week (longer if you aren't using a secondary).

I pitched the yeast on the hot side, around 85F. But I tried to keep the fermenter at 70F. I live in Florida, it's not easy to keep things cold around here. :D

Is it possible? Only 2 days for fermentation? How long should I leave it in the primary if this reading is correct?
I’m a little bit confused. Any thoughts?
My thought is - awesome! Now it can start conditioning! As long as the yeast were healthy and treated right, a fast fermentation isn't a bad thing at all.

I've had beer stop at 2 days.
Now...LEAVE IT ALONE.

Even though the yeast are finished eating the sugar, they need some time to clean up after themselves. 2 weeks would be a good starting point.

As Usual...BierMuncher has a nice little bit of info on why you should give your beer time in the primary.

LOOK HERE

Yeap, I was planning to leave it in the primary for at least a week. After that maybe rack it to secondary, but the recipe just call for 10 days in primary so I’m not sure about the secondary. Thanks a lot for BierMuncher’s info, now I know when he beer is done fermenting.
Thanks

My first batch was pitched at 76 degrees F and was finished fermenting in about 18 hours. I was flabbergasted, but I just left it for a week. After two weeks in secondary I bottled, and it turned out very good. I still don't pitch that warm now, though.

Yeap, 10 days on primary, 2 weeks on secondary and bottle after that. Man, I'm gonna have to wait more then a month to try mi first AG beer, oh well, more time to get more bottles. Nottingham is a great yeast, next time, I'll pitch it a little bit colder, I guess 85F is too warm.
Thanks a lot guys for your help and advice.

Palmbeachpaul - Sounds like you had a perfect fermentation, give the beer enough time to condition and age and I'm sure your love it. My first batch was the same and I can't keep my friends from drinking it all, or myself for that matter. Now start the second batch so you can pitch it in the yeast cake.

Back