Basil IPA 07'er

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Partial Mash
Yeast
Danstar Nottingham
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days @ 65f
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days @ 68f
Basil IPA 07'er

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

14-B India Pale Ale, American IPA

Min OG: 1.056 Max OG: 1.075
Min IBU: 40 Max IBU: 72
Min Clr: 6 Max Clr: 15 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 13.00
Anticipated OG: 1.074 Plato: 17.98
Anticipated SRM: 11.8
Anticipated IBU: 66.0
Brewhouse Efficiency: 85 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate: 15.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 6.47 Gal
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.063 SG 15.43 Plato

Formulas Used
-------------

Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.
Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.
Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg
% Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Fine Grind Dry Basis.

Color Formula Used: Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Tinseth
Tinseth Concentration Factor: 1.30

Additional Utilization Used For First Wort Hops: -10 %

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
69.2 9.00 lbs. Gleneagle's Maris Otter Pale Great Britain 1.038 5
11.5 1.50 lbs. Honey Malt Canada 1.030 18
11.5 1.50 lbs. Victory Malt America 1.034 25
7.7 1.00 lbs. Generic LME - Extra Light Generic 1.035 7

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
2.25 oz. Northern Brewer Whole 6.50 38.8 First WH
1.00 oz. Cascade Whole 5.75 13.0 30 min.
1.00 oz. Cascade Whole 5.75 8.4 15 min.
0.50 oz. Amarillo Gold Whole 10.00 4.4 8 min.
0.50 oz. Amarillo Gold Whole 10.00 1.2 2 min.

Extras

Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.50 Cup(s) Cinnamon-Basil Spice 15 Min.(boil)
0.25 Cup(s) Cinnamon-Basil Spice 8 Min.(boil)
0.50 Cup(s) Cinnamon-Basil Spice 2 Min.(boil)

Yeast
-----

Danstar Nottingham

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Type: Multi Step

Grain Lbs: 12.00
Water Qts: 15.63 - Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal: 3.91 - Before Additional Infusions

Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 1.30 - Before Additional Infusions

Acid Rest Temp : 0 Time: 0
Protein Rest Temp : 0 Time: 0
Intermediate Rest Temp : 133 Time: 30
Saccharification Rest Temp : 151 Time: 45
Mash-out Rest Temp : 158 Time: 20
Sparge Temp : 170 Time: 10

Total Mash Volume Gal: 4.87 - Dough-In Infusion Only

All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.

I love basil, but cinnamon-basil spice? Is that the same?

Can you just use fresh basil leaves instead? (I have the basic, basil-pesto basil). How did this turn out?

I'd love to implement more fresh herbs into beer (rosemary, sage). Just adding some at the end ought to do it?

Thanks for answering my questions! I've been too intimidated to experiment much yet, but I love cooking and I feel like it could be kind of intuitive once I get started, maybe.

I love basil, but cinnamon-basil spice? Is that the same?

Can you just use fresh basil leaves instead? (I have the basic, basil-pesto basil). How did this turn out?

I'd love to implement more fresh herbs into beer (rosemary, sage). Just adding some at the end ought to do it?

Thanks for answering my questions! I've been too intimidated to experiment much yet, but I love cooking and I feel like it could be kind of intuitive once I get started, maybe.

Honestly, you probably won't notice much of a difference using cinnamon-basil. Speaking of which, "cinnamon basil" is a type of basil that has a subtle hint of cinnamon to it. There are tons of weird basil hybrids that you can find in springtime at smaller nurseries, etc., like chocolate-basil, lime-basil, lemon-basil, etc. You can absolutely just use sweet italian basil---in fact, I'd guess that half of the basil i used in the above recipe from from my sweet italian basil bushes. For a bit of spicy character, you can also use thai basil---I think I used some of that too, but you need to be careful because it's strong stuff!

The recipe, IMHO, turned out great, though if you want a lighter beer you can dial down the honey and victory amounts. I'm going to do another one this summer once my basil is in. Can't wait...basilbrau has become a seasonal stape round these parts. Also, you can amend this to be a pale ale, too, if you want. My first beer ever was a basil pale ale and it was awesome.

Thanks! For a pale ale, I should reduce the hops by, maybe about 2 ounces total? (I'm not worried about the varieties, really, because we have a pretty bad selection right now anyway!)

Sounds awesome! I think we'll do this one next.

Yeah, you could knock those FW hops back to 1oz, and get rid of the 8 minute amarillo addition, and end up in the mid 40's for IBU's, perfect for an APA. I'd also, however, omit the LME, knock the honey malt and victory down to 1lb each, and go with about 7lb of pale malt. Bam, APA.

Sounds perfect! Thanks so much for your help! Looking forward to doing this next weekend (it's hubby's turn to pick a beer to brew this weekend! :p

wait...you're in cincy, which is pretty similar to our climate I believe. My basil plants right now are no more than 6" tall with mayb 5 or 6 leaves on them. If you're brewing next weekend, where are you getting the basil? It can get expensive buying it from the store! Or maybe you just got your basil bushes started earlier than us...?

No, my basil looks terrible. But Meijer often carries big bunches of it for only a few bucks, I guess for pesto-making.

How does the final product taste? Big Basil flavor, or is it subtle? What about the aroma?

It's relatively subtle, but certainly noticeable, both on the nose and the palate. I think I've struck a perfect balance by using a maltier IPA as the base beer, because the hops and the basil really compete for attention and it's a great interplay.

I brewed my 08'er a few weeks ago, gonna rack into the keg this weekend.

No, I'm a little concerned about the bugs/bacteria/wild yeast that might be on it. This basil comes right off the plant in my garden, while I'm brewing, straight into the kettle...and basil doesn't have the antiseptic properties of hops...so, no, I haven't dry-basiled these beers. Believe me, you get PLENTY of basil from the boil. When I brew my Basilbrau, I'm brewing it to be a hoppy beer with nice, integrated basil contingent. I'm not looking for the IPA's of basil beer...where the profile is all basil. Dry-basiling, I'd think, would just throw it out of whack. Believe me when I say that I have pretty much nailed the recipe when it comes to restrained but expressive basil character for an IPA---but hey, if you want a super-basily beer, then by all means try 'er out. Let us know what happens...

My curiosity is piqued and I've got about 20 lbs of MO left in my sack. I love basil and I never thought of doing this. one question, though: I shudder at the thought of putting 1.5 lbs of honey malt into ANYTHING. does it not come out almost sacharrine sweet? I used 5 oz in an ESB and it nearly overpowered the brew, especially as a young beer.

My curiosity is piqued and I've got about 20 lbs of MO left in my sack. I love basil and I never thought of doing this. one question, though: I shudder at the thought of putting 1.5 lbs of honey malt into ANYTHING. does it not come out almost sacharrine sweet? I used 5 oz in an ESB and it nearly overpowered the brew, especially as a young beer.

I've made this several times, and it's never come out sweet at all. I got the idea for honey from Bison's Honey Basil Ale. You obviously can't use honey, and I dialed it in pretty low at first, and you didn't really get much flavor at all from half an ounce. If you're concerned about it, mash lower, or dial it down to 16oz...but I'm tellin' ya...it's never been a problem for me.

Actually...I think I might have an updated recipe in ProMash. I'll check my other compy...hold on...

I've made this several times, and it's never come out sweet at all. I got the idea for honey from Bison's Honey Basil Ale. You obviously can't use honey, and I dialed it in pretty low at first, and you didn't really get much flavor at all from half an ounce. If you're concerned about it, mash lower, or dial it down to 16oz...but I'm tellin' ya...it's never been a problem for me.

Actually...I think I might have an updated recipe in ProMash. I'll check my other compy...hold on...

...yeah, I was wrong. My final recipe had 10.75lbs pale malt, 1.5lbs victory, 0.5lbs honey malt. So go with that.

Thanks Evan, that sounds like a more reasonable amount of honey malt, though I likely would have taken you're word for it if you'd been adamant....As soon as my basil gets going good I'm on this one!

I am trying to follow the recipe (noob) and I get it up until here;

Extras

Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.50 Cup(s) Cinnamon-Basil Spice 15 Min.(boil)
0.25 Cup(s) Cinnamon-Basil Spice 8 Min.(boil)
0.50 Cup(s) Cinnamon-Basil Spice 2 Min.(boil)

Yeast
-----

Danstar Nottingham

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Type: Multi Step

Grain Lbs: 12.00
Water Qts: 15.63 - Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal: 3.91 - Before Additional Infusions

Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 1.30 - Before Additional Infusions

Acid Rest Temp : 0 Time: 0
Protein Rest Temp : 0 Time: 0
Intermediate Rest Temp : 133 Time: 30
Saccharification Rest Temp : 151 Time: 45
Mash-out Rest Temp : 158 Time: 20
Sparge Temp : 170 Time: 10

Total Mash Volume Gal: 4.87 - Dough-In Infusion Only

Does the basil go into the boil? and then get strained out going into primary. Also, how do you read the mash schedule, I am going crazy trying to understand what a multi-step is and how to follow the recipe. thanks for the help, and sorry for bringing an old post back!

Does the basil go into the boil? and then get strained out going into primary. Also, how do you read the mash schedule, I am going crazy trying to understand what a multi-step is and how to follow the recipe. thanks for the help, and sorry for bringing an old post back!
I made this beer for the first time a couple months ago (with a couple minor tweaks), and believe me- you're going to be glad you put the effort in!

The basil goes in the boil and, like hops, stays behind in the boil kettle when you rack to primary.

As far as the mash schedule- have you done much all-grain brewing? Are you actually planning on brewing this all-grain, or translating it to partial mash? I don't mean to be offensive here- I'm just trying to make sure I give helpful advice. Evan! can feel free to jump in and disagree, of course. ;-)

If you're new to all-grain, forget the multi-step mash. Do a single infusion of half your total boil volume to hit 151. The temp you'll need for your strike will depend on your system, but should be around 160-162. Mash for 30m, then drain. Sparge with the rest of the water at around 185 to get the grain up to 165-168 and call it a day.

The step at 133 can help head formation and retention, but can be neglected. Skipping mashout might hurt efficiency a point or two, but on this beer it shouldn't be significant. Removing these two steps will make the day a fair bit easier.

Hope that helped.

No no no no, I actually didn't even realize this was an all-grain brew! I just did a search and saw this beer... Well, if that's the case, then I will postpone this brew for a while! I am still a noob and only doing partial mashes. Well, thanks for the help, I guess I need to be a little more careful before asking questions. I blame it on the noob effect, and should wear off shortly, haha.

You can do this as a partial mash. just substitute out some of the Marris Otter for DME.

Something in the area of 4lbs Marris Otter and 3-4lbs of DME, and do the rest of the recipe the same, youll just have to adjust the mash.

Coming from a culinary school graduate and working with herbs alot, I know that your best best for getting FRESH basil characteristics is to dry-hop the basil and or take your basil and infuse it into your priming sugar simple syrup... when the freshly picked basil is added to the boil... all of the essential delicious oils are evaporated and you get left with just a useless, weak, and stale taste. If you are worried about contaminates which is always a good thing to think about, it most likely be okay since you have very hot wort still. But I really recommend if you are to add ANY herb, add it by dry-hopping, priming sugar, bottling (worked amazing), or into secodary.

when the freshly picked basil is added to the boil... all of the essential delicious oils are evaporated and you get left with just a useless, weak, and stale taste.

This is not accurate, at least in this beer. The amount of basil added in the boil is enough to add a distinctive nose and flavor to the finished beer. For my taste, it's right at the edge of "how much is too much". No one wants a pesto beer, after all.

I just added a few ounces of raw lemon peel to a hefeweizen I'm brewing that's currently in secondary. The instructions from Midwest Supplies had me microwave the peel for 30 seconds to sanitize it. It was definitely steaming hot when it came out (probably the high oil content of the zest).

Would microwaving, or maybe blanching the basil be sufficient to sanitize it enough for dry hopping?

What about just dunking it in a Star San solution for 30 seconds before adding it to the fermenter?

HI Evan
Very, very intrigued by this recipe. Do you chop the basil to measure it or just grab loose leaves to approximate 0.5 cups?

Cheers!
Kay

HI Evan
Very, very intrigued by this recipe. Do you chop the basil to measure it or just grab loose leaves to approximate 0.5 cups?

Cheers!
Kay

Krashka, I haven't seen Evan! around for a while, so you may or may not get an "official" response. I will tell you that I've brewed this recipe several times now, and I think it's definitely worth your while. The first time I brewed it, I did basil by 1/4cup 1/2cup 1/2cup, but I weighed each addition as well. The times I brewed it since, I did the basil by weight and not dry measure. I used 1/4oz 3/8oz 3/8oz for a total of 1oz. The basil comes through very nicely with that amount. I've also been adding a 1/4oz citra to the dry hop to punch up the citrus just a tad.

i just had my first bottle of my Basil Blossom IPA and loved it. i brewed an extract West Coast IPA with Cascade and Centennial hops and Safale US05. Then i dry hopped in the secondary with an ounce of Cascade and an ounce of the unopened buds from basil plants that had bolted and were about to bloom. This was i think added the perfect amount of musky basil aroma without making a beer that was too vegetal in flavor.

Raising a dead thread here... I brewed a Citra saison today (should be similar to a St Somewhere Caitlen) 5 gal batch, added 1oz orange peel at 10 min to boil, then about 8 medium sized basil leaves from my plant at 5 min. You think that will even come through? I was thinking orange basil saison with citra. sounds good right? I just want a hint of basil on the nose with the touch of sweet orange as the finish. My problem with saison in the past has been over attenuation. I am hoping to stop ferm at 1.007 this time to retain some body. thoughts?

Have no idea about the flavors coming thru. PLanning on brewing my first Saison this weekend. As far as for stopping the fermentation, are you bottling or kegging? If kegging, maybe you could monitor the SG and when it hits your desired, keg it and chill it down immediately. Wouldn't that stop the fermentation? Bottleing would be a little tougher chore, but maybe a similar effort would work?

I am kegging and that is the plan. Problem is the 3724 I used seems to attenuate very slowly. I may let it drop till it sucks at 1035 and pitch souring yeast

Raising a dead thread here... I brewed a Citra saison today (should be similar to a St Somewhere Caitlen) 5 gal batch, added 1oz orange peel at 10 min to boil, then about 8 medium sized basil leaves from my plant at 5 min. You think that will even come through? I was thinking orange basil saison with citra. sounds good right? I just want a hint of basil on the nose with the touch of sweet orange as the finish. My problem with saison in the past has been over attenuation. I am hoping to stop ferm at 1.007 this time to retain some body. thoughts?

No way to know for sure until you taste it. 8 leaves of homegrown basil should come through at least a little bit, though.

I brew this beer multiple times a year (this year's first batch took 3rd at NHC, and the second batch is ready to be mailed for the second round). I get *much* better results using homegrown basil or the "living basil" plants as compared to the 4oz bubble packs from the grocery store.

I've also started using a bit of citra right at flameout, and I really think it improves an already great beer.

Back