SSR Not Working Please Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bryce

Reaction score
I've run into a stopping point with my RIMS system this weekend around what I think is a bad SSR. I'm running an Aubrin 2352 with a 25A SSR that goes out to a 115V heating element in my rims tube. The LED indicator on the SSR lights up and is flippinf on and off when the PID hits its SV. however the element itself is just staying on the entire time as if the SSR is not opening and closing.

On the output side I have hot leg coming to the side labeled 2 and on the other side I have the load being the heating going out on the side labeled 1. I do have a toggle switch inline with the load so that I can run the PID without the heater kicking on. So using this to interupt the power coming from the SSR to the heater.

Any help would be great. Does the light on the SSR mean it should be switching since it comes on and off with the right temp changes.

Thanks!!!!

SSR's fail "on". You'll have to manually plug and unplug to finish the current brewday and order a couple replacements.:(

I'm right to think if I'm seeing the light on the SSR coming on and off correctly then it should not be a wiring issue rather an SSR one. Thanks again for the testing post for the SSR I'm going to try that one test.

Bryce
what was the outcome. I'm seeing some simular behaviors....

dtfeld. Are you saying if this powers up with the SSR 5v not hooked up correctly, it will fail "on" and no matter what you do. Even if you wire it correctly after power up?

If the light is coming on when the PID says it should and the controlled side is wired hot - SSR - Load - other_hot (or neutral) then things are wired properly and the SSR has failed if the load continues to draw current when the led is extinguished.

Bryce
what was the outcome. I'm seeing some simular behaviors....

dtfeld. Are you saying if this powers up with the SSR 5v not hooked up correctly, it will fail "on" and no matter what you do. Even if you wire it correctly after power up?
I'd be surprised if either one answers you... You resurrected this thread from 3 years ago... (and neither member appears to have stayed active here)

Back