After achieving a solid 45% BH effeciency grinding with a rolling pin...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewESQ

Reaction score
I learned my lesson and bought a grain mill

Great deal on Rakuten.com and use promo code HAPPY4TH for 20x points - http://www.rakuten.com/prod/premium...at-grains-or-use-as-a-nut-mill/225634958.html

$27.57 shipped plus $5.50 in points.

Anyway, here's my whole story:

hopefully I have a good session brew on my hands after that abysmal 1.030 OG reading!! (shooting for 1.050). Recently bought a 50 lb sack of 2-row, and LHBS said I could come use their grain mill, but lazy and stupid me decided it would be easier to throw in the 4 lbs of 2-row I was using in zip lock bags and roll them out with a rolling pin (only 35% of grain bill). Pre-crushed grains made up the other 65% and I ended up with a <45% Brewhouse efficiency.

Since this brew's probably shot I added a couple pounds of honey right in the primary to get the SG up to a respectable 1.040.

Rolling pin crushes don't work. Ask me how I know!

I picked up a never-used Corona at a local resale shop for $8. It is missing the hopper, so I'm thinking of sacrificing a stainless mixing bowl for the cause.

Rolling pin crushes DO work. I've had to do that when the LBS's mill wasn't working and took home whole grains. I suggest rolling grains on very hard surface.

Of course it will work.....you just have to have the patience of a piece of granite.

Food processor works, but evidently works too well....ask how I know ;)

I managed a 50% efficiency with my own noob idiocy combined with the crappy mill at my LHBS. Just did my second batch from my own mill and managed 86%. It's worth the purchase.

Loved the subject line btw.

Back