Saison Cottage House Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ha, ya, she wimped out halfway through the mash. Brew day went great, and it's bubbling away like the yeast are trying to air up a freaking tire.

7 days in the fermenter and it's still bubbling! This is my first time using 3711 and man is this yeast crazy.

I did my starter at 68F, pitched at 70F and let it rise during the first two days to 75F on it's own (brew closet room temp). Then I threw a temp controlled heater in the closet and let it slowly ramp up to 80F over the next couple of days. Now it's at 82F and I'm thinking about holding it there till after fermentation finishes, maybe even longer. Thoughts on keeping it hot while it rests or letting it drop down to 74 and letting the yeast rest a bit while it conditions?

Bring on the Saison Funk!

Have you taken a gravity reading? If its dropped down to single digits I wouldn't worry about keeping the fermenter warm, I just let mine sit at ambient temp for a while.

The saison funk will come from that really active period, the bulk of bubbles after it has stabilized is just out gassing from co2 in solution.

I'm brewing this up weekend after this coming one.

This is my first saison so I'm pretty excited. Don't let me down azscoob :p. By the way, any water additions (gypsum, Calcium carbonate, etc)?

Can someone tell me that 6oz of corn sugar would be appropriate for a Saison to be highly carbed?

It will get you about 3 volumes, which is really high but probably ok for the style and not in bottle bomb territory. I have never brewed a saison but know a bit about bottle conditioning. Just the facts.

Hanso said:
It will get you about 3 volumes, which is really high but probably ok for the style and not in bottle bomb territory. I have never brewed a saison but know a bit about bottle conditioning. Just the facts.

Forgot to mention I'm assuming you finished the fermentation in the upper 70s or so. Temp will play a little role. If it was lower, you'll have higher final carb with the same sugar, if higher, less.

I am doing my first starter with whitelabs 568, for this recipe to brew tomorrow hopefully. I was too lazy to order 3711 , so we will see how 568 does with this recipe.

I finally made this today but made some minor changes to the hop schedule due to higher AAs on sorachi and fuggles. I'm just fermenting inside the house with about 73 F ambient temp with whitelabs 568. The bubbling smells great so far.

your original recipe is for 5.5 gallons. I am doing 2.5 gallon batches. How far do you think I will be off if I simply cut your recipe in half?

your original recipe is for 5.5 gallons. I am doing 2.5 gallon batches. How far do you think I will be off if I simply cut your recipe in half?

I wouldn't sweat it, I sometimes drop the volume too low when boiling too vigorously, not much of a difference honestly, perhaps a point or two higher on the gravity is all.

I wouldn't sweat it, I sometimes drop the volume too low when boiling too vigorously, not much of a difference honestly, perhaps a point or two higher on the gravity is all.

thanks. Can't wait to brew it. And, thanks a lot for sharing!:mug:

Just took one last gravity check before kegging after a 24 day primary and MAN is it clear! The fastest beer to clear I've done yet (not counting anything with s-04), not cloudy in the slightest. And it's been sitting in my 75 degree beer closet, no cold crash (I wanted a little haze, oh well).

Tastes awesome and that dang yeast even shaved another .002 off the FG from the last time I measured it 2 weeks ago. Now it's down to 1.003, super dry and smooth with that nice saison twang. A bit of an alcohol nose, coming in at 7.5%, but I'm sure getting some CO2 in there will lighten it up considerably. Can't wait to get this carbed and serving! This is gonna be dangerously easy to drink too much of.

Just took one last gravity check before kegging after a 24 day primary and MAN is it clear! The fastest beer to clear I've done yet (not counting anything with s-04), not cloudy in the slightest. And it's been sitting in my 75 degree beer closet, no cold crash (I wanted a little haze, oh well).

Tastes awesome and that dang yeast even shaved another .002 off the FG from the last time I measured it 2 weeks ago. Now it's down to 1.003, super dry and smooth with that nice saison twang. A bit of an alcohol nose, coming in at 7.5%, but I'm sure getting some CO2 in there will lighten it up considerably. Can't wait to get this carbed and serving! This is gonna be dangerously easy to drink too much of.

You may be drinking this outa tumblers if you aren't carefu!

I just kegged mine also. It looked a bit dark but smelled right on saison. The alcohol was fairly noticeable, but it should be around 8.2 %. Can wait to try it as it gains some carbonation.

Anyone have thoughts or experience on adapting this recipe to a lower alcohol saison? Or possibly another recipe for a session saison?

Anyone have thoughts or experience on adapting this recipe to a lower alcohol saison? Or possibly another recipe for a session saison?

You could use more sparge water and make the batch bigger like 6 or 7 gallons :)

Just read all 35 pages. Any thoughts on water additions. Use soft water, ro, DI? Azscoob, what is your water like? rI've gotten good results using the water primer in the Brew Science section. Any thoughs on adding 2% acid malt to the grain bill and 1/2 tsp CaCL to RO water to mash and sparge with? My water is horribile in El Paso and the water primer has made a world of difference in my brews?

Liquisky said:
Just read all 35 pages. Any thoughts on water additions. Use soft water, ro, DI? Azscoob, what is your water like? rI've gotten good results using the water primer in the Brew Science section. Any thoughs on adding 2% acid malt to the grain bill and 1/2 tsp CaCL to RO water to mash and sparge with? My water is horribile in El Paso and the water primer has made a world of difference in my brews?

My water out here is quite hard, in fact there are so many minerals out here in our water that when ice cubes melt in a glass you end up with white sediment at the bottom of the glass. For this recipe I use 50% tap water that I let sit overnight after adding half a crushed campden tablet to remove chlorine and chloramine. The other 50% is just RO water. It has worked perfectly for this beer and my English ales as well.

So my roommate is a big fan of saisons, and I've been eyeing this recipe for months now... but I live in Chicago, it's cold as hell outside, and my ambient room temperature is at 63-64. I was thinking of maybe trying to insulate it with a thick blanket and place it ontop of the floor heating vent, but I'm guessing the most I'll be able to get out of it is 70. do you think it's worth making in that case, or should I wait for a warmer month?

jdopchibrew said:
So my roommate is a big fan of saisons, and I've been eyeing this recipe for months now... but I live in Chicago, it's cold as hell outside, and my ambient room temperature is at 63-64. I was thinking of maybe trying to insulate it with a thick blanket and place it ontop of the floor heating vent, but I'm guessing the most I'll be able to get out of it is 70. do you think it's worth making in that case, or should I wait for a warmer month?

I'm upon Wisconsin and brewed this recently. I just used the 3711 yeast which doesn't need as high of temp to ferment. Wyeast calls out 65-77 for temp.

^^^

3711 is going to chew through the sugar like mad.

My house varies in temp due to crappy insulation anywhere from 68-72F. 3711 is perfectly at home in these temp ranges as state above as well! :mug:

The reason I originally went with the 3711 was I had spoken with many other brewers who stated it is hearty as heck, never had it stall out or not finish at the desired gravity.

It has proven itself to me on every occasion, it is now my house saison yeast, which makes sense, because this is also my house saison recipe.

Mid 60s? No problem, mid 90s? No problem

Awesome is all I can say.

Definitely looking like the brew for this weekend. How hoppy did the beer turn out and does this need a 90 min considering the amount of pilsner. But between the pepper, honey, and 3711 looks like a winner!

I brewed this yesterday. Ended up adding the honey at 150F after I started cooling, to preserve/maximize the citrus flavor from it.

I also had none of the hops on hand that I needed, so I used subbed out the Sorachi with Chinook, and the Fuggles with East Kent Goldings.

Has anyone else added the honey post-boil?

Anyone who has tried this recipe also try Ommegang's Hennepin Farmhouse Saison?
How does this recipe compare?

Once this has aged a month or so in the keg I would easily put this over Hennipin. Thats just my honest no holds barred 0.02c on the matter. This is one of the best recipes I have brewed on this website. I actually limited the tap to a couple of pours a week just so I could enjoy it a bit longer!

I've tried Hennepin and remember liking it, but that's it. I tried this recipe with whitelabs 568 and fermented warm, like 73 ambient and let it do its thing. Mine didn't finish as low as 3711. So far the only thing that needs to age out is a bit of alcohol hotness, otherwise the smell is very saison-y and really reminds me of saison DuPont. It is only about 2 weeks in the keg , so we'll see how it changes.

Once this has aged a month or so in the keg I would easily put this over Hennipin. Thats just my honest no holds barred 0.02c on the matter. This is one of the best recipes I have brewed on this website. I actually limited the tap to a couple of pours a week just so I could enjoy it a bit longer!

That really means a lot to me! Putting my recipe on that level.... Wow :rockin:

Back