Keeping Warm

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justin8425

Reaction score
I live in SoCal and our temps have been getting lower (mid 50's in my garage). As I have been banned from bringing in my primary fermentation after a bad accident, I am looking for a creative (cheap) way to ensure stable temps in the high 60's. I have left a carboy filled with water and sat in a water bath over night and in the AM, the water in the carboy has been about 59. I have seen some ideas about temp control, but was wondering if this forum could add to my knowledge. Thanks for your help.

Does the belt work with glass? Thought I saw that those were only for plastic... How about those heating pads that can be taped on?

Actually better idea would be to spend those bitter cold nights cuddling with your fermenter shielding it from the cold. Sacrifice yourself for your beer.

I built a little heater that consists of a light bulb mounted in a coffee can with both ends cut out and a computer fan taped on one end.

I also built a temperature controller using a Atmel Microprocessor and an LM86 temperature control chip, which allows you to use a small transistor as a temperature probe. I put my carboy in a foam insulated plastic garbage can, tape the probe to the carboy and hang the lightbulbcoffeeheater thingy on the edge. Creative positioning of some black plastic contractor bag material shields the beer from the light bulb. Has worked well so far.

Huh, will try. :mug:

Hopefully the heat will dissipate quickly enough to not destroy the bulb. I've had that problem with some lamp reflectors for my lizards.

Set the carboy in a water bath and use a couple aquarium heaters to keep water bath at desired temp, insulation around water bath will reduce wattage needed to hold temp.

I guess it's not the best idea, but I've put a heating pad in between several blankets and had the carboy sit on top of the blankets. Wrapped the carboy in blankets and had good success. Just need to remember not to leave it on too long or too hot...it will warm that carboy up pretty quickly.

kladue said:
Set the carboy in a water bath and use a couple aquarium heaters to keep water bath at desired temp, insulation around water bath will reduce wattage needed to hold temp.

I've considered the exact same solution. Great minds....

I really liked that idea because the temperature of the water would be exactly the same as the beer.

It was easier for me to use the garbage can, I didn't have anything that could support the volume of the water and beer and carboy at hand. I ducted taped the probe flat against the glass carboy. The duct tape has actually eradicated any erroneous readings from noise, it might be because of the silver color being conductive and shielding my probe.

My controller would work with any heating/cooling device that works with AC. I have access to some solenoid valves that would work for cooling in the summer when used with a water bath.

BuffaloSabresBrewer said:
Get a can of high temp spray paint and paint over the bulb. No more light to worry about.

This is a great idea. I've been casually searching for an electric heating pad for a few weeks now, but this is easier and cheaper (I've already for a light bulb socket)..

I just painted a bulb.. guess I'll see how well it works in a few hours.

I'm going to put mine in my fermentation fridge to keep a very tight swing. In the winter (now), it will be mostly heating, and summer mostly cooling. I don't want to mess with water (baths) and I've got a spare output (or 6) on my controller...

Thanks!

S

I'm Socal as well. I have had good luck with a heating pad under the corner of the tub of water I put the carboy in. I slide more or less of the pad under the tub to adjust the temp. The tub of water really helps dampen out temperature fluctuation.

smizak said:
I built a little heater that consists of a light bulb mounted in a coffee can with both ends cut out and a computer fan taped on one end.

I also built a temperature controller using a Atmel Microprocessor and an LM86 temperature control chip, which allows you to use a small transistor as a temperature probe. I put my carboy in a foam insulated plastic garbage can, tape the probe to the carboy and hang the lightbulbcoffeeheater thingy on the edge. Creative positioning of some black plastic contractor bag material shields the beer from the light bulb. Has worked well so far.

Is this for real?....?....?

I actually ripped the temp control off of my furnace, duct taped it to the side of the carboy, then grabbed my acetylene torch and pointed it at the carboy. The thermostat is hardwired to a squirrel's brain which is running on a miniature treadmill and is next to a box of strikeanywhere(TM) matches. When the temp of the wort drops below 60F, the squirrel is spurred into action by a low level electrical stimulus - at which point he strikes a match. This lights the torch which heats the wort. When it hits 70, the thermostat ceases shocking the squirrel, at which time he drops the match and the torch is extinguished.

Simple!

blacklab said:
Is this for real?....?....?

I actually ripped the temp control off of my furnace, duct taped it to the side of the carboy, then grabbed my acetylene torch and pointed it at the carboy. The thermostat is hardwired to a squirrel's brain which is running on a miniature treadmill and is next to a box of strikeanywhere(TM) matches. When the temp of the wort drops below 60F, the squirrel is spurred into action by a low level electrical stimulus - at which point he strikes a match. This lights the torch which heats the wort. When it hits 70, the thermostat ceases shocking the squirrel, at which time he drops the match and the torch is extinguished.

Simple!

Ha!

I know, I know, it sounds complicated.

I work for an electronics research and development laboratory and I have access to a whole stockroom of parts. I actually built the whole controller and wrote the software in a couple hours. I hate spending money on stuff I can easily build; better, and customizable. I could have bought a heated carboy blanket thingy and temperature controller, but I had the lab and a coffee can, so f@#k it. More fun anyway.

Back