Force Carbonation Problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan11

Reaction score
I force carbed my beer Friday by setting my CO2 at about 33psi and rocking it for 3 minutes. I let it sit until Sunday and put it at serving pressure (11psi). Monday I tried it and it tasted not really over carbed but had a bite to it. Also, on top of that it had large bubbles that went away fairly quick rather than really small bubbles. Does this mean my beer is still young and it just needs time to age and condition? Or do I have a problem?

10psi... just to be clear I only had the pressure at 33psi for 3 minutes while I was rocking it. I let it sit 48 hours with no gas hooked up to let it settle down then put it at 10psi and tasted.

Yeah I do the set it and forget it method so I'm not sure if 3 minutes is too long. Hopefully someone with some more experience will chime in

My guess is that you are undercarbed right now since the bubbles go away quickly. If you are overcarbed, you would see either excessive foaming or a persistently bubbly brew in the glass.

The "shake it" method is really temperature sensitive. Unless you "need" this beer immediately, just set it on serving pressure and leave for a few days.

I think you are under carbed also, the big bubbles are just air, hold glass up to light and see if you have small bubbles rising from sides, my guess is no. set pressure at 30 psi and let it set cold for 24 hours , you should be fine then. 3 minutes rocking did not introduce near enough Co2.

Thats kind of what I thought just wasn't sure. If I hold my glass up to the light I do see bubbles coming up through the beer but no where near an excessive amount. It just threw me off when I tasted it and it tasted some what carbed but with a bite to it.

So I have had it at 10 psi for the past 36 hours. If I just leave it there for a week or so it should be fine?

It depends on the temperature, but if it's at fridge temps, then yes, it should sort itself out. Mine is at 12 psi at 40 degrees.

Yeah I have my temp. control at 40 so i'll bump it up to 12 psi

Latest posts

Back