India Brown Ale recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tennesseean_87

Reaction score
I am brewing this for a friend. He likes DFH 90, Pliny, and Headhunter, but wants this on the drier side. I found this grain bill and dropped half the caramel to dry it out a bit. I'll probably mash at 152.

11 lbs. - 2 Row Pale Malt
3/4 lb. - Amber Malt
1/4 lb. - Crystal Malt (60L)
1/2 lb. - Chocolate Malt
2 oz. - Roasted Barley (a little goes a long way)
1/2 lb. - Dark Brown Sugar (added with 10min left in boil)

Now I just need help with the hops.

I was thinking of trying Summit/Cascade, but am not sure how that'll work with the above grist. I also have: Chinook, Nugget, CTZ, a pinch of Simcoe and Amarillo, Northdown (like NorBrewer), Williamette, and Styrian Goldings. I was planning adding at typical American IPA times: 60, 20, 10, 5, 0, Dry.

Any and all suggestions are welcome and appreciated!

You don't need the roasted barley. You'll still have over 25 SRM without the roasted barley. Otherwise, it looks good. I would mash around 151 F and try to bring this down from 1.069 to about 1.012 FG. WLP007 w/starter would be nice.

Chinook and/or Columbus for bittering - shoot for 30 IBUs. Fill in the gaps with another small 30 minute addition. Add 2 oz. Nugget at 15 then whirlpool with 2 oz. total Willamette and Chinook. Dryhop with the rest of the Simcoe and Amarillo, maybe some CTZ as well for a total of 2-3 oz. 65-72 IBUs should be nice. (7-8 oz total hops)

Back