Bottling a Sour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clann

Reaction score
I am going to bottle my first sour soon and was wondering if there was anything different from bottling a regular batch aside from dedicated equipment. I read that it was a good idea to add some yeast with the priming sugar since it is a year old

I usually add a little champagne yeast, but I'm not 100% convinced it's necessary. Can't hurt, I suppose, and that's why I do it. I also don't bother segregating my equipment, but it's a sensible precaution to take.

As I have stated in previous posts, I am lazy. I never got to bottling my sour and guess what? The pellicle has started to fall. This beer was brewed in April of 2011.
Think its done?

You dont need to do anything different. Adding some fresh yeast at bottling might speed up the carbonation process but in my experience it isnt necessary. I would just add enough sugar to give you 3 vols of carb and call it good.

Back