First kegging questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iceman6409

Reaction score
Hello all. I have a 2 1/2 gallon corny. I JUST got a 5lb co2 tank that I had filled. I also have a Taprite T742 regulator connected. I have done what I think is turn everything on but I have absolutely no gas going in or out at all. I am brand new to this so forgive me. I have taken some pictures below to show you what I have in place. I believe the gas tank is turned on. I have tried both ways. I believe the gas line connection is open. I have set the PSI to 30. I am experimenting with water until I figure this out, I set the psi to 30 and then push the gray know back in place to lock it and still nothing at all after 24 hours or more. There appears to be 2 small brass pieces in one of the pictures you will see. I honestly have no idea what these are or even if they go to the regulator. I can't remember. So any help and all help will be greatly appreciated. I have even pulled up on the gas line an no sounds at all. I even took of the keg lid. No pressure at all. What am I missing. If anyone is up to it I would appreciate step by step instructions. I am obviously missing something easy here.

102_1898.jpg

102_1899.jpg

102_1900.jpg

it looks like your gas connector is not all the way down... at 30 psi you should hear it hissing in the tank... I know on my new Ball locks its real hard to get the connectors on

not too sure where the extra brass goes (take a little screw driver and see if you can depress middle of gas post it just may be REAL stiff)

Good luck

That would be my first guess also, that your ball lock is not fully on. Did you feel/hear it snap into place? It needs to snap in there to depress the center of the gas post.

As far as I know they did snap into place. I seem to remember doing that a few times. But I hear absolutely no hissing whatsoever.

Clearly you have pressure on the regulator and the regulator is dialed up to 30 psi, so the problem is at the keg connection. I agree the most likely problem is you don't have the gas quick disconnect actually seated all the way down on the post. Try wetting the o-ring at the top of the gas post before you try to connect the QD, then pull up the QD ring while pushing down on the top of the QD 'til it bottoms, then release the ring.

What I can't actually tell from the picture is whether you have the black beer QD on the Out post and are trying to get the grey gas QD on the In post. Or vice versa. The grey gas QD has to go on the post that has notches cut into the bottom of the post.

The two brass pieces are a compression nut and ferrule, and came with the regulator. They would be used if you were hard-plumbing the regulator to a copper line...

Cheers!

Agreed, also double check to make sure you have the gas connected to the "in" post. The other possibility could be something wrong with the poppet (the spring loaded center portion of the post). Mine have never gone bad so I'm not sure what happens when they do and if it would result in the problem you are having.

I checked. The gas line is connected to the short tube for sure. I am thinking now it might be the poppet. I unscrewed it when I first got it and immediately dropped it. i picked up everything thing I could see on the floor. I saw 3 pieces. There was the connection part, whatever it is called, a little thing in the connection part with a spring on it and a plastic round piece with a hole in it. Does that sound right?

Sounds right (though a bit curious they designed the keg to require the plastic riser).

Anyway, with the gas post installed, can you push down on the poppet with something thin yet sturdy, and see it open?

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back