Sulfur / rotten egg smell from airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgohean

Reaction score
I'm brewing my first homebrew (more detail here), Austin Homebrew Supply's American Amber Ale which uses White Labs California Ale V Yeast.

At 30 hours, the fermentation is active (2 bubbles / second), but there's a distinct rotten egg or sulfur smell. The temp in the closet it's in is about 76. Is this a sign of contamination? Normal? Distinct to the liquid yeast I used?

Thats the smell of progress! Go ahead, take a deep whiff. You are on your way to a rewarding and all consuming hobby. Welcome to the passion! :mug:

Good to hear, thanks for the feedback. Do they all smell like this or is it always different?

Awesome. Searched for rotten egg, and got someone making the exact same recipe as me. Rotten egg smell indeed. On the other hand, the AHS American amber finished primary in two days, and at 5 days is already delicious despite it's sulfurous nose. This one is going to be good.

i've got the same problem right now im in day 3 of my fermentation of my bear republic racer 5 clone and the smell has dissipated some but i was wondering how long this last for...the yeast is white labs california v

I used WLP051 a couple weeks ago, and man it sure did smell like rotten eggs. Even after 3 weeks i could still pick up a hint of sulfur around the carboy.

RDWHAHB it will be ok the smell will dissipate and will finish fine. Drinking mine now and tastes great!

Thats going to be a solid brew with nuts. My lager yeast made my fermenter room smell like a giant fart for the first couple days.

For beer I would say that is pretty normal for quite a few yeasts. For ciders/meads/wines it usually means you have a nutrient deficiency and the yeast cells are stressed as a result. Never fear tho. Beer has enough of its own nutrient supply to make the yeasts more than happy as long as you oxygenate before pitching!

For beer I would say that is pretty normal for quite a few yeasts. For ciders/meads/wines it usually means you have a nutrient deficiency and the yeast cells are stressed as a result. Never fear tho. Beer has enough of its own nutrient supply to make the yeasts more than happy as long as you oxygenate before pitching!

Agreed, the beer will repair itself here. No probs. Usually the smell of egg is a sign of optimal conditions for some Lager Yeasts.

brewed a dunkel last weekend and it smells like complete ass. first beer i have had do this, so it kind of freaked me out. hopefully you guys are right and the stench subsides.

I'm brewing my first homebrew (more detail here), Austin Homebrew Supply's American Amber Ale which uses White Labs California Ale V Yeast.

At 30 hours, the fermentation is active (2 bubbles / second), but there's a distinct rotten egg or sulfur smell. The temp in the closet it's in is about 76. Is this a sign of contamination? Normal? Distinct to the liquid yeast I used?

You are fermenting at too HIGH a temperature. Cali. V is not known for sulfur/rotten egg smell. Ferment at too high a temp, though, and you have a problem. If the closet ambient temp is is 76 add 5-10 to that to get your fermenting wort temp. Let's go with 80 degrees. That's too hot. White Labs call for an optimum fermenting temp of 66-70 degrees.

I've brewed with Cali. V several times and had no sulfur smell. Ferm temps of the wort were less that 70

76f is too high, but I've had sulfur a number of times from Cali V and I usually ferment between 62 and 66 ambient.

I have the same thing going on. On day 2 with a Stone Arrogant bastard clone. Used white labs california V, ferm temps at 68-70. woke up and thought someone left an upper decker in the downstairs crapper it smells so bad. just hope the stench dissipates soon.
:eek:

Back