Safale US-05 Attenuation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My current brew is sitting around 80% attenuation after 7 days. Surprisingly, it's still supporting a good yeast head... like I could top-crop it if I wanted to (though I know most of those yeast would not be very active at this point). I've never seen this yeast have a thick crop on-top after 7 days? And it still has a real yeast twang to it. In my experience, it's usually done fermenting & settling out before now?

I'll give it another day or so... but I need that cake for some fresh cider!

So after 9 days I threw the fresh-pressed cider on that cake... 1.045 to 0.997... that's 107%AA :eek:

Wow... I just used US-05 for the first time and my Honey PA finished at 1.007!!! Yikes... shes pretty dry, and almost 1% ABV higher than expected. However, the flavour is still pretty good so I imagine it will be a hit with any BMC guests. I adjusted Beersmith attenuation profile so I know what to expect next time. I am thinking I may as well switch to notty, as that might be a bit TOO dry for me....

Thread revival!

Just curious - how many of you de-gas your hydrometer samples before reading the measurement? I have maxed out at 82% attenuation on over 15 batches of IPA with S-05. These batches were mashed at 146-149F based on readings from my Thermapen.

Residual carbonation can seriously affect a hydrometer sample, and a significant amount of carbon dioxide is often left in solution after fermentation (especially when you ferment on the cool side). I've taken readings that initially showed 1.010, only to de-gas the sample and read a 1.015.

If we're giving people advice on what type of attenuation to expect from this yeast, this seems like an important point to consider. Just thought I'd add it in.

Just curious - how many of you de-gas your hydrometer samples before reading the measurement? I have maxed out at 82% attenuation on over 15 batches of IPA with S-05. These batches were mashed at 146-149F based on readings from my Thermapen.

Residual carbonation can seriously affect a hydrometer sample, and a significant amount of carbon dioxide is often left in solution after fermentation (especially when you ferment on the cool side). I've taken readings that initially showed 1.010, only to de-gas the sample and read a 1.015.

Wow !! I never even considered that.... Damn, that is one more thing to stress out about. How do you de-gas the sample? Do you shake it up or will it de-gas if you just let it sit long enough and get warm?

Degassing is as simple as pouring the sample back and forth between two cups a few times until it stops foaming excessively. Definitely not something to stress about. I just felt it was important to touch on it so somebody doesn't go into a brew expecting 85% attenuation from s-05 when the numbers they're reading are not totally realistic due to the impact of carbonation.

The last batch I brewed I split 12 gal between 2 fermenters. One had safale-05 in it and the other some harvested bells yeast.

Both started at 1.062
The s-05 ended at 1.008 (86.4% apparent attenuation)
The bells yeast ended at 1.012 (79.7% apparant attenuation)

My mash temp was 152. I was expecting/hoping both to finish around 1.014, I'll have to compare the tastes after some proper aging

Did you ever get around to comparing the tastes of the two yeasts? I am trying to determine if I could use safale-05 or 04 as a Bells yeast replacement since I can't get the bottles out here in Washington to harvest from.

I used S-05 for the first time and my beer went from 1.046 to 1.006. 86.4% apparent attenuation. I was shooting for an ABV of 4.1 and ended up at 5.1.

What did you mash at and what did you ferment at. I've only ever used liquid yeasts but I'm looking to move to dry for the pitch rate consistency and it's ease of storage.

Is the consensus to mash a little higher with this yeast?

What did you mash at and what did you ferment at. I've only ever used liquid yeasts but I'm looking to move to dry for the pitch rate consistency and it's ease of storage.

Is the consensus to mash a little higher with this yeast?

Mashed at 152-153, Fermentation started out around 64° finished about 70°.

It's the first time I used this yeast. I think I may stay away from it for low gravity beers.

I used this yeast and my IPA has been bottled for 3 weeks and in the fridge for 1 week, but the yeast isn't really sticking to the bottom. Why wouldn't it be sticking? This is the first time I used this yeast and any other time I have brewed I haven't had this issue. It makes it real difficult to pour and keep the sediment out of your glass even with proper technique. Any thought would be appreciated.

HomeBrew32 said:
I used this yeast and my IPA has been bottled for 3 weeks and in the fridge for 1 week, but the yeast isn't really sticking to the bottom. Why wouldn't it be sticking? This is the first time I used this yeast and any other time I have brewed I haven't had this issue. It makes it real difficult to pour and keep the sediment out of your glass even with proper technique. Any thought would be appreciated.

Cloudy beer can occur for many reasons.

I've used 05 for quite a number of beers. It's a great yeast that seems to impart a clean but round flavor around 70% for fermentation. I tend to mash around 154 because it attenuates so well when mashing at lower temps. I do find I need to secondary, then standard 1 month condition, and then 1 week in the fridge before serving to get a clear beer with little to no yeast. Great clean American style yeast.

Made a Blonde Ale this week. Mashed @ 148 for 75mins. Pitched one packet of Safale-05 and finished out at 1.006. 85%. After reading this, the common theme seems to be a low mash temp = high attenuation with this yeast.

and that way with all yeasts lol :p

I am a little freaked out on the last 3 beers ive done with us 05. My ipa dident finish dry enough, thinking of pulling it out of the keg and adding a yeast to finish it up, its way to sweet! I did mash it at 154...

But the two i am more concerned about are my last two. I made a coffee stout @1083 mashed @150. Its two weeks in and is at 1030 and seems to have slowed to a halt. I am a little worried it wont dry out. I want to get down to 1020. Should i just give it more time?

Ferm temp was held at 65 for a week and pulled out of the temp controller to rise to 69 ambient temp in my house.

The next beer was a Belgian Golden Strong, made the same day as the Coffee with the same yeast. I added sugar to the beer after about three days, it seamed like it was slowing when i added it. fermentation picked up again and 3 days later it was slowing, so i added the last 1/2 of sugar at that point. It is two weeks in and seems like it has hit a wall, yeast is starting to settle. OG 1.107 Gravity as we speak 1.045 Mash temp 148.

Any Help or thoughts?

Jmurm said:
I am a little freaked out on the last 3 beers ive done with us 05. My ipa dident finish dry enough, thinking of pulling it out of the keg and adding a yeast to finish it up, its way to sweet! I did mash it at 154...

But the two i am more concerned about are my last two. I made a coffee stout @1083 mashed @150. Its two weeks in and is at 1030 and seems to have slowed to a halt. I am a little worried it wont dry out. I want to get down to 1020. Should i just give it more time?

Ferm temp was held at 65 for a week and pulled out of the temp controller to rise to 69 ambient temp in my house.

The next beer was a Belgian Golden Strong, made the same day as the Coffee with the same yeast. I added sugar to the beer after about three days, it seamed like it was slowing when i added it. fermentation picked up again and 3 days later it was slowing, so i added the last 1/2 of sugar at that point. It is two weeks in and seems like it has hit a wall, yeast is starting to settle. OG 1.107 Gravity as we speak 1.045 Mash temp 148.

Any Help or thoughts?

This isn't necessarily a lot of info to judge from effectively. There can be recipe causes for sweetness in an IPA.

As for the other two, Did you use starters for your stout & BGS? 1.083 and 1.107 are pretty big beers for a single packet of any yeast to tackle!!

Any Help or thoughts?

A couple of questions come to mind. How do you store your yeast, is it old, did you oxygenate, did you add nutrients? For the two big OG beers, yeast pitching calculators like mrmalty suggest 1.5 to 2 packs of 05.
How do you store your yeast? Is it ol

Ive made two or three beers with this yeast. I didend do a starter but pitched a large portion of slurry to it. Probably over pitched. I did shake the carboys to oxygenate and added nutrients. Normally in two weeks its done. I will give it more time. U think its just needs more time?

With my Founders Double Trouble Clone, I went from 1.087 to 1.008 at a whopping 90.0% attenuation!!!!! I mashed low, at 148-149, and had 1.5lb of dextrose into the boil. Pitched 3 packs as well! I love US-05!

:mug:

add me to the over 80% attenuation club with this yeast. Just checked the gravity on my barleywine (1.090 OG) and it is at 1.016 6 weeks after brew day. This is the first time I have used an o2 tank.

I just brewed a RIS with this US-05 I pitched 2 packs in 5 gals per mrmalty.com and got 62% apparent attenuation. Here is the recipe, let me know if this is underattenuated or if you think this looks right becuase of all the specialty malts.

4 X 3.3lb cans of Briess Dark LME
1 lb Flaked Barley
.5 lb C120
.5 lb C60
1lb D80 Dandi Syrup

the specialty grains were rested at around 154 degrees for a half hour, added 3 of the LME and syrup late boil

OG calculated to 1.108 and my FG is 1.040 it tastes super good but i am just wondering if i made a recipe flaw with this crazy high FG. Would you expect 62% apparent attenuation with this grain bill?

When I was brewing extract+specialty grain I found my attenuation lower than it is now. I think having that much LME + 1# of crystal malt makes this a REALLY tough batch to attenuate any lower than that.

I recently got over 90% attenuation on a very dry (mashed low) beer with a US-05 cake repitch. Went from 1.049 to 1.002. The mash was overnight beginning at 153, ending around 144 8 hours later.

I just brewed a Robust Porter. Mashed at 155. OG 1.064 FG 1.021 fermented at 68. 66% attenuation. Unfortunately I didn't check the gravity until after I had cold crashed it and added gelatin to clear it. I didn't check because S-05 had been such a beast every time I've used it. If I had checked I could have tried raising them temp. Lesson learned.

The last three brews I did with 05 got 80.6%, 78.3%, and 75.5%.

The gravity went from 62-12 (154f mash), 46-10 (150f mash), and 45-11 (150f mash) respectively.

They were pitched dry from the packet. I have a bourbon honey ale going right now that used washed 05.

I just brewed a Robust Porter. Mashed at 155. OG 1.064 FG 1.021 fermented at 68. 66% attenuation. Unfortunately I didn't check the gravity until after I had cold crashed it and added gelatin to clear it. I didn't check because S-05 had been such a beast every time I've used it. If I had checked I could have tried raising them temp. Lesson learned.

OG 1.073
FG 1.023
I just got 68.5% apparent attenuation but I really pushed it!
Mashed in at 158, which cooled to 156 then 152.
Then I pitched at 64 and fermented for two+ weeks at 59!

Really clean, no off flavors. Reminicent of G'night. Nice and chewey, without any overt sweetness.

I routinely hit 85% attenuation with my US-05 strains (harvested) and lower mash temps. I plan on 80-85% for lower mashed beers.

Cream of Three Crops with US-05
OG: 1.056
FG: 1.010
Attenuation: 82%

Mashed at 152F for 90 minutes.

This looks dead on with the spec sheet for US-05 and right in line with what I have seen on my previous two batches.

i had an IIPA go from 1.096 to 1.008 with S-05 recently, than again I mashed low and long, and did some creative work with the adjuncts, one word to describe it: exquisite....

tnbrewer371 said:
i had an IIPA go from 1.096 to 1.008 with S-05 recently, than again I mashed low and long, and did some creative work with the adjuncts, one word to describe it: exquisite....

That is crazy yeast efficiency. What's the abv on that?

image-1617552499.jpg

Edit: typo. Use this one

image-294263188.jpg

Just went from 1.064 to 1.007 (88%ish).

I find that if I add a small amount of corn sugar (4 oz) to the boil, the yeast will give you a little extra effort. I add about 4 oz to most IPAs that I make because I want to hit a FG of 1.008, but do not want a the OG to be too affected by the sugar.

Jamil's West Coast blaster from 1.060 - 1.008. %86 Apparent Attenuation.

Never hit the OG for the said recipe and used mosaic/amarillo combo instead of cascade/centennial.

My s05 brews consistently stall @ 1.014ish. That is using sugar to dry out. I do not rehydrate yeast, but I do oxygenate.

I feel my fermentation chamber AC may play a role. Eh dont care either way the brews always taste great!!

Back