Brewcast on Saturday 3/19/10!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Since the last brewcast didn't suck as bad as I thought it might, I'm planning on webcasting my brewday tomorrow on my "new" electric rig.

I'll post the link when I'm ready to go, but it should be around 10 Central time. I'll be making my recipe for the "Broken Leg House Amber", a 10.5 gallon batch.

Oh, good! You can see my rig. The new HLT is pretty cool, and the improvements in the BK are awesome. I love my new control panel.

I'll try to get started in the morning pretty early, but I'm NOT a morning person at all.

Nice. I've always wanted to see your rig; er, your new panel - I mean; uh. Yeah, have a good brew session :p :fro:

I'm not a morning person either, and I'm two hours earlier than you. Don't start too early!

Nice. I've always wanted to see your rig; er, your new panel - I mean; uh. Yeah, have a good brew session :p :fro:

I'm not a morning person either, and I'm two hours earlier than you. Don't start too early!

Really? Two hours? That doesn't seem right at all! that's way too early. :D

Really? Two hours? That doesn't seem right at all! that's way too early. :D

Actually - 3 hours! I forgot that Michigan is Eastern Time.....and AZ is west coast time now....

If you do a long mash, I may be up in time for the first hop addition! :D

Actually - 3 hours! I forgot that Michigan is Eastern Time.....and AZ is west coast time now....

If you do a long mash, I may be up in time for the first hop addition! :D

I'm not in eastern time, we're in central time here.

Anyway, I mashed in and totally forgot about trying to webcast it! Duh.

I'm about 1/2 way through the mash now, measuring hops.

Yeah, second link works.

Nothing exciting happening right now- 49 minutes left in the boil.

But, I had a stuck sparge due to grainbed compaction. And it took over an hour for the sparge, before I finally said "heck with it" and stirred it. Still got a 75% preboil efficiency, and it smells so good in here!

I "dropped in" to watch ya a bit while I'm waiting on my mash to finish.

Hope the rest of your brew day goes well. Looks like a nice system you got there!

TB

It is! You're welcome to come down whenever it's convenient and see it close up if you want! I know you're doing electric too. It is great for the cold climate to brew indoors.

Either:

A. I'm boring (probable)
B. You guys are all busy
C. I'm competing with NCAA basketball
D. No one watches brewcasts.

I'm leaning towards A. But you missed the boobies. I wanted to make it more interesting.

It is! You're welcome to come down whenever it's convenient and see it close up if you want! I know you're doing electric too. It is great for the cold climate to brew indoors.

I would love to come down for a brewing weekend and swap some beers sometime. Of course, the invitation is always open for you to scope out my setup and drink my beer too.

Maybe we could set something up for later spring or summer time. I could probably find a friend from the brew club to join me and split gas. Let me know what works for you.

Here's to many great batches of beer on your new system! :mug:

TB

I would love to come down for a brewing weekend and swap some beers sometime. Of course, the invitation is always open for you to scope out my setup and drink my beer too.

Maybe we could set something up for later spring or summer time. I could probably find a friend from the brew club to join me and split gas. Let me know what works for you.

Here's to many great batches of beer on your new system! :mug:

TB

Thanks!

I'm retired, but working part-time. (Long story). Anyway, I can brew just about anytime, so if you want to come down, I can arrange that day/time to show you the system and brew on it. I always have at least a couple of beers on tap, and my daughter wanted me to start a batch of hard lemonade for her, so there will be other things to drink as well. Just let me know!

Thanks!

...I can brew just about anytime, so if you want to come down, I can arrange that day/time to show you the system and brew on it. I always have at least a couple of beers on tap, and my daughter wanted me to start a batch of hard lemonade for her, so there will be other things to drink as well. Just let me know!

Sounds good! I'll let you know.

You also missed me eating lunch- pickled pike. Yoopers like pickled fish.

Speaking of pickled stuff, I'm making 2 dozen pickled eggs after I'm done brewing this evening. Mmmmmm mmmmmm....!

caught the "tour" of the new system. How did the rest of the brewing go?

Aside from a stuck sparge, good! Not really a stuck sparge, just a very very sllllooooowwww sparge. I believe I know why. When I ramped up to mash out temp, I turned up the speed of the pump on for the HERMS. I think that's when it happened, and then just got worse during the sparge. It started off draining ok, but near the end it was trickling slower and slower. I have to think about what to do- a slower rise to mash out? Rice hulls? I'm not sure what I'll do next time.

The 10 gallons chilled quickly. I recirculated for about 10 minutes, then passed through the CFC to the fermenter on the last pass at full speed. Pitching temp was 66.7 degrees and I used so4 for one fermenter and s05 for the other.

Back