The wife and brew day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Indybrew

Reaction score
The wife wants me to brew the next few weekends to fill the our pipeline, to leave our summer weekends free. So she will be doing some small projects around the house. Last weekend I brewed a wheat ale and a Rye IPA, while she laid some new patio stones. Next week a Three Floyds Alfa King ale clone while she paints the kitchen. Man I love this woman.
On a fun side note, here's an old joke twisted around to match my brew day.

An old lady across the street sees me sitting in a chair with beer in hand, watching the boil kettel. She looks over and sees my wife bent over laying patio stones, then back at me.
She runs up to me and yells "You should be hung."
I wiped the foam from my lips and said " I am, that's why she's laying the stone."

Happy brewing everyone.

Wait, your wife *wants* you to brew while she does hard labor?

To quote a prisoner in Monty Python's Life of Brian: "You lucky, lucky bastard."

My wife supports the brewing, but doesnt' like how much time it takes up. Shes the one who got me into the hobby though, buying me the whole equipment kit for christmas, so I don't feel so bad. :)

I had to look twice to be sure I didn't post this. This is exactly like it is at my house. My wife is just happy brewing gets me out of the house. The way I see it, I liked the house the way we bought it. If she wants to change it, more power to her, but I'm not a big fan of painting and the like. I told her that she could do whatever she likes, as long as I don't have to mess with it. We both like this setup. Now if I could just convince her not to buy things she can't lift, I would be completey in the clear. :) I don't know why she would choose manual labor over drinking beer all day, but nobody is perfect...

LOL, my wife wants us to finish the keg in the fridge so we can start lagering for the summer so we have a Marzen & a Rauchbeir lined up.

I don't do any brewing at home, and I pretty much do all of it before my fiance even wakes up, so it's mostly out of sight, out of mind for her. The massively packed closet full o' beer is sometimes an issue, however.

my wife hates the smell too. says it irritates her sinuses. wawawawawawawa....

soon we will build a brewhaus in the backyard. i'm thinking of connecting it with a tunnel from the man cave!

My fiance kind of likes the mashing and boiling smells, although not as much so if I use a ton of hops. She doesn't particularly like beer in general however. She did try a Wexford Irish creme ale the other night on nitro and really liked it, so that's a start. She doesn't mind my porters, but couldn't drink a whole pint of it.

More for me then :D

Indybrew said:
An old lady across the street sees me sitting in a chair with beer in hand, watching the boil kettel. She looks over and sees my wife bent over laying patio stones, then back at me.
I wiped the foam from my lips and said " I am, that's why she's laying the stone."

Happy brewing everyone.

LOL! :D That's a great joke! What did your neighbor say after that? What was her reaction? Did she even take your meaning?

I'm lucky to have a wife who's supportive of my hobby. But, then again, I'm not brewing near as much or at such levels as many others here.

Now, if I'm getting drunk off my homebrew and going out and picking up on other women--that's where she would draw the line. :cross:

uglygoat said:
soon we will build a brewhaus in the backyard.

I'm with ya. I was going to pour the foundation for this puppy last week during Spring Break, but the weather did not cooperate. Perhaps the weekend after next. Soon, Ed's Brauhaus will be a reality.

It will be similar to this.

MyBrewHut.jpg

EdWort said:
Soon, Ed's Brauhaus will be a reality.

It will be similar to this.

MyBrewHut.jpg

God damn it Ed. Just when i think i have all of the stuff i need to keep up with the brewing "Jones" you have to go and post that!!!

Ok, what is that gonig to cost me? I dont have the room in my back yard, BUT, my parents have about 10 acres and a perfect spot to put a brewhaus/bierhall.

Indybrew said:
The wife wants me to brew the next few weekends to fill the our pipeline, to leave our summer weekends free. So she will be doing some small projects around the house. Last weekend I brewed a wheat ale and a Rye IPA, while she laid some new patio stones. Next week a Three Floyds Alfa King ale clone while she paints the kitchen. Man I love this woman.
On a fun side note, here's an old joke twisted around to match my brew day.

Happy brewing everyone.
That's a great story. If I clean the bathroom all is good in our house.

paranode said:
Ha, my wife complained the whole time about how the hop smell was making her sick. :eek:

Yeah, I get that too.... I can't imagine anything more pleasing than the smell of hops! I promised I would do the next batch on the deck or in the garage, so we'll see how that goes.. :cross:

Rook said:
My wife supports the brewing, but doesnt' like how much time it takes up. Shes the one who got me into the hobby though, buying me the whole equipment kit for christmas, so I don't feel so bad. :)

Originally Posted by paranode
Ha, my wife complained the whole time about how the hop smell was making her sick.

Mine made that mistake 2 years ago. Now she complains when the house is "stinky". I tell her that during the winter here in New England I am humidifing the house. :D

I brew inside, but when no one is home. My daughter HATES the smell of boiling wort, and after I add the hops she actually gags. My son, too. So, I brew on weekdays when they are at school and my husband's at work.

I want a brew haus! I would live in it. A TV and a bed, and my beer gear. That's all I would need. And the internet. Ed, I'm so jealous!

My wife doesn't drink beer much at all and shows no interest to speak of in any part of the brewing process. When I'm all geeked about my latest DIY brewware or whatever, she says it's "cute." (That's what every man lives for, of course: to be cute.)

I think she kindof likes the idea of me bieing out of her hair for 5 hours on brew day, though.

My wife doesn't like the smell and doesn't care for the time it takes but she tolerates it if I can squeeze my brewing into my free time and boil outside. So I either brew late evening or on a weekend she has plans alone.
I'm about to start all-grain brewing so I will probably have to plan on brewing on Friday nights so its not an issue if I'm up until 2 or 3 in the morning. I'm going to have to get better outdoor lights!
Craig

Wife doesn't mind when I brew, she likes anything that keeps me at home. That being said, we have this 2 acre lot behind our place, with it's own driveway. It has a nice 16X24 foot concrete slab that keeps screaming at me to build a brew house on it. She tells me I can brew all I want at the house, I don't need to build anything back there! Man, it would be nice to have a permanent setup, where I wouldn't have to tear everything down every time I brew.

Brewing Clamper said:
LOL, my wife wants us to finish the keg in the fridge so we can start lagering for the summer so we have a Marzen & a Rauchbeir lined up.

While my wife doesn't usually participate in brewing, she loves craft beer and MY beer. She complains that I spent too much time brewing lately but I've been brewing for the last 3 week-ends + setting up my draft system so I kind of agree with her :p

scadieux said:
While my wife doesn't usually participate in brewing, she loves craft beer and MY beer. She complains that I spent too much time brewing lately but I've been brewing for the last 3 week-ends + setting up my draft system so I kind of agree with her :p

Is there really a such thing as too much brewing

Maybe McMalty will reply. I wonder this also. I guess he did a search. Wierd. (why do I always spell weird wrong the first time... it should be 50/50, right?)

ha....didn't realize it. when i'm looking at a thread, there's always a list of related threads on the bottom of the page. This was one of those threads, i saw it and i clicked on it. For the record, i was looking at the thread that people won't stop posting on about the guy who's wife dumped one of his IPAs.

My wife thinks it's a complete waste of time and money. She thinks I'm a dork because I read brew books in bed at night. My friend couldn't help me bottle yesterday so I told her she had to help because it was a 2 man job and that it would spoil if she didn't help me. I think she had fun.

Back