Copper tubes in beer tower

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcory77

Reaction score
I have seen this a few times surfing the boards. Does running the beer lines through the copper tubing really keep the beer colder in the tower? I am about the at a second faucet to my tower and could take care of this at the same time.

Thanks!!!

I have seen this a few times surfing the boards. Does running the beer lines through the copper tubing really keep the beer colder in the tower? I am about the at a second faucet to my tower and could take care of this at the same time.

Thanks!!!

Yes, but you need to have some of the copper sticking into the fridge compartment in order for it to function efficiently as a heatsink.

Would I go with 3/8" tubing for 3/16" beer line?

Stupid question I am sure, but I can screw up anything.

Depends on your beer line. The thick walled 3/16" ID beer line that many here reccomend is 7/16" OD, so it won't fit in a 3/8" ID copper tube. Thin wall 3/16" line like you'd get at the hardware store is usually ~5/16" ID, which would be a tight fit in a 3/8" tube.

I don’t think the beer line runs through the copper tube but the copper runs with the beer lines in an insulted tube. Kinda like glycol lines run with beer lines in a bar.

I did this copper pipe thing on my kegerator. I don't think it works very well at all. The copper pipes extend about a foot into my kegerator cabinet and are actually touching the cold plate that used to be the freezer comparment, but the tops of the copper pipes up in the tower are room temp.

If I were going to do it over, I would either install a fan to blow air up into the tower, or just do it with nothing and save myself the copper.

some pics to show the copper coming down into my cabinet as well as the loads of insulation I put on them up through the tower:

fridge_insidework.jpg

fridge_towerwrap2.jpg

wanted the copper out of the way of my co2 tank.

How did this work for you? I have a brand new kegerator that works great, but my first glass is half foam. I did copper tubing around my beer lines wrapped in foam. It enters my kegerator and I have a 90 degree bend running 5 inches of copper along the top back towards the compressor plate.

My beer lines are 60 degrees still in the tower, and only cool down if I turn on my deep chill function which is just a fan that turns on.

I',m trying to find a way to cool the pipes without a fan.

Back