power cable clamps for control boxes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walker

I use secondaries. :p
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just realized that I am missing a single item for my HERMS build.

Where do you electric folks pick up the cable clamps that hold the main power cable feeding into your control boxes? (and are they just called "cable clamps" or do that have a nore unique name that I can search for online?)

I walked through the electrical aisles at Lowe's the other day and saw nothing there.

They are called cord grips. I found some by the conduit at Home Depot. They only had two sizes though...

Mcmaster has a large selection but shipping for a single item from them is killer.

Is this what they look like? If so, then my eyes were scanning for the wrong thing when I walked through Lowe's.

base_media

I'm using a male coupling (electrical conduit type in the electrical aisle) threaded through a hole from the inside of the box. A similar female coupling threads onto that from the outside. The power wires are fed through a piece of 90 degree (gradual bend) plastic conduit which seats into the female coupling thats threaded and snug on the box.

6558530.jpg

6559447.jpg

102864_front200.jpg

I believe they are called 'strain relief connectors'. I get them at my local electrical supply shop.

Yeah, I don't think you will find anything like that in a big box store. Maybe at a n electrical house if you can get in. DO you know any electricians who could pick one up for you?

Else Mcmaster will have them to you tomorrow.

Spec-ing out my e-rig, I'm beginning to love this site! 1/2 the price of other places I've found. Seriously... DIN rail mount breakers for $7?
Cool. I bought panel mount breakers (and pretty much ALL of my electronics stuff) from mouser.com. The breakers were $3.17 each (25A).

I did buy DIN rail mounted, modular power distribution stuff and have a lot of DIN rail left over (couple of feet of the stuff), so if you find yourself needing some DIN rail I might be willing to get it to you for next to nothing. ;)

Thanks for the link. I just got back from Lowe's right now. They did have the grips, but only in 1/2" and 3/4" sizes. However, there were lots of other options for cord clamps there in 1" size.

I ended up buying these two items:

power_cord_clamp_parts.jpg

I'll put the actual clamping part w/ screws on the inside of the box and the metal nut that came with it on the outside of the box. I bought the plastic bushing just to keep the rubber jacket of the cord from rubbing against the metal if it gets pulled to the side a bit.

When assembled:
power_cord_clamp_assembled.jpg

Price: $2.

Back