Substituting Coopers Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snyder

Reaction score
Awhile back I make a Coopers lager kit. The quickness of this kit won me over, when I'm short on time. The only problem was if I had more than 1 beer, I got a stomach ache. My guess is that it might be the yeast. So, I'm wondering what would the closest type of yeast to substitute with. I understand that it's not a true lager yeast, so would Nottingham be closest?

From what I've read on these forums, it is common for people new to HBs to have an adjustment period to the yeast which usually causes only the Leon VonFartskys. But gas can cause stomach aches....FWIW

I will say, the first beer I was involved in was made with a pack of the Gold coopers yeast and it is far from quality. it throws all sorts of off products in there, ime. Now making you sick, not sure about that one...

If you are going to ferment it as a Lager then get a Lager yeast, otherwise I would go with S05 which is my favorite easy to use yeast.

btw - I notice a distinct difference in how I feel after a few S04 beers vs S05 beers.

Yeah, S05 would be my other choice along with Nottingham. I thought the stomach thing was from what I ate, but I ate better and still had the same problems. I'd wake up in the middle of the night with my stomach turning like crazy. Never had that problem with any other of my brews.

I had this problem once but I think the beer was infected. It was also a coopers lager but only 1 bottle out of the batch. I remember that it opened w/ no sign of being carbonated and tasted like card board. I drank it anyway and was rewarded wiyh a stomach ache in the middle of the nite.

Back