Bottling Competition Brews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eschatz

Reaction score
i've posted before that i'm a keg brewer. i'm sworn off the bottles. i use the BMBF(BierMuncher Bottle Filler!) when i do fill the occasional bottle. I'm looking into entering into my first competition. Do you think i can use the BMBF to bottle competition beers or should i brew and bottle batches just for the comps? i think there are some beer drops from coopers or something like that. maybe i can bottle some and keg some.... i dont know. let me know what you guys think :)

I just started entering comps sometime last year and every time I've used something similar to the BMBF. I bottled up some beers to enter NHC last week and did the exact same thing, except this time I purged the bottles with co2 first using another picnic tap hooked to a co2 regulator.

I've done quite well in competitions so I don't think its caused any problems.

Either one works. Entering my first competitions coming up and I bottle using the BMBF... should help the beer stay 'sparking' as well without the yeast sediment in there getting shook up during shipping, etc.

Now, if you are entering categories where bottle conditioning is desirable, you can always use some carb-tabs when kegging. Keg 4g, bottle the rest and carb using the tabs...

yeah, i thought it would work. i guess i need to bottle a couple like that and see how they turn out in a month or somehting. i always drink them within a couple of days after bottling with the BMBF

eschatz said:
yeah, i thought it would work. i guess i need to bottle a couple like that and see how they turn out in a month or somehting. i always drink them within a couple of days after bottling with the BMBF

It's rare for me to drink beers that I've bottled since I've got all my kegs, but just recently I found a bottle of an IPA I bottled last july-aug that won BOS at the local fair. I popped the top and I heard that beautiful noise when I opened it. Carbonation was perfect and I couldn't pickup any hints of oxidation.

eschatz said:
I'm assuming you used the BMBF?

Yes I used the same kind of thing. Although I think when I started using it someone local gave me the idea of how to do it. Though when I tell people now I always refer to the BMBF post, since I can't recall who originally told me.

Latest posts

Back